approved for att iphone with no deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

approved for att iphone with no deposit

I was discharged on Nov 5, and was approved today for an at&t iphone with no deposit required. I applied on the att wireless site, not the apple online site. So att is bk friendly in regards to iphones.

They pulled equifax for me and I checked my equifax fico score this morning and it is 655 post discharge. My score went up a huge amount after discharge. All my accounts are showing up with zero balance and IIB, and the bankruptcy is showing up on my credit report as discharged.

So for those of you like me that have been wanting an iphone but didn't want to cough up a $1,000 deposit, there is hope!

I have no intention of applying for any credit post discharge, but I hate my blackberry, and verizon sucks where I live and I thought now would be a good time to get an iphone.
    Last edited by backtoschool; 11-20-2009, 11:38 AM.
    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

I have the iPhone, but I've been a loyal AT&T Customer since 1996. Anyhow... are you kidding? They would want $1,000 for a deposit? That's sick!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      I have the iPhone, but I've been a loyal AT&T Customer since 1996. Anyhow... are you kidding? They would want $1,000 for a deposit? That's sick!
      Well that is their highest deposit, I am not sure what I would have been asked to cough up pre-filing and discharge, but I am assuming it would have been at least $500 or so.

I am thrilled that my score went up so quickly, although I am not going to use it for anything. I just wanted people to know that att wireless is bk friendly because some people who were on prepaid plans pre-bk might want a regular plan post bk.

Comment

Congrats! Some friends of ours have bad credit but they've never filed BK. They tried to get a regular old razor phone with AT&T and they asked for a $750 deposit.

It's crazy!
        4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
        5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
        7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
        7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I've been a good AT&T customer for 2 years with an iPhone and no late payments. I want to upgrade when next summer's models come out. Do these deposits generally apply to new customers, or could it also apply to an upgrade renewal? I should be discharged on 2/16

However, if AT&T is BK friendly, it might not matter.

Comment

I'm in active Chapter 13. I have never had trouble upgrading my AT&T phones.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Just as an FYI.... after I declared I wanted to add my husband to my family plan.... I was on the phone with them at the time and she said in order to add the phone they would have to check my credit again (I have been with them for years) and she put me on hold while she connected to me to someone... I quickly hung up.... I certainly didn't want them checking my credit!!

So, I went online to my account and added my hubby there instead.... no credit check!

So, if you ever wanna do something without them prying into things... try doing it online first!
              BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
              Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

I got my iPhone as a "new" line on my family plan at an AT&T company store. The entire transaction took less than 10 minutes... as I already knew what I wanted. If they did run a credit check... I never knew anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                  Just as an FYI.... after I declared I wanted to add my husband to my family plan.... I was on the phone with them at the time and she said in order to add the phone they would have to check my credit again (I have been with them for years) and she put me on hold while she connected to me to someone... I quickly hung up.... I certainly didn't want them checking my credit!!

So, I went online to my account and added my hubby there instead.... no credit check!

So, if you ever wanna do something without them prying into things... try doing it online first!
                  This would work if you are already an att wireless customer, but I ordered my new iphone and line online and they did a credit check and said right on the site when I ordered it that they were going to do a credit check.

Comment

I spoke with a business manager at Verizon and explained my wife and I were planning to file bk in December but were interested in the new Droid phones on our renew every 2 date in January and he indicated we'll have no problem upgrading with a security deposit required.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                      I spoke with a business manager at Verizon and explained my wife and I were planning to file bk in December but were interested in the new Droid phones on our renew every 2 date in January and he indicated we'll have no problem upgrading with a security deposit required.
                      I don't think there is any problem if you are already an existing customer. You shouldn't have to put a deposit down. I think the question is whether new customers have to put a deposit down, and in my case with att, the answer was "no", which pleasantly surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                        I don't think there is any problem if you are already an existing customer. You shouldn't have to put a deposit down. I think the question is whether new customers have to put a deposit down, and in my case with att, the answer was "no", which pleasantly surprised me.
                        That is good news! No deposit! No return!
                        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I upgraded from the samsung blackjack to the iPhone in June a few days after my 341. No issues, no problem, no deposits required. Ordered online. I was already an existing ATT customer and never included any ATT bills in my BK. So, as long as you did not discharge any phone charges with ATT in your BK, you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by viking64 View Post
                            I've been a good AT&T customer for 2 years with an iPhone and no late payments. I want to upgrade when next summer's models come out. Do these deposits generally apply to new customers, or could it also apply to an upgrade renewal? I should be discharged on 2/16

However, if AT&T is BK friendly, it might not matter.
                            We just upgraded a month after we converted to a Ch 7. No problems and no deposit. We've been with AT&T for 4 years, always paid on time and didn't include them in our BK.
                            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                              We have had Verizon for about 3-4 yrs now. Didn't have a bit of trouble upgrading our phones even while we were in active BK. I even saw on dh's credit report where they checked his credit when I upgraded my phone last month... still didn't have an issue (and I even added the phone fee to our account).
                              Filed 8/2009
                              Discharged & Closed 11/2009
                              Now the rebuilding begins....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X