Cell phones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell phones...

Has anyone tried getting a cell phone since they were discharged?

Since we filed BK our contract is up so I'm looking at other carriers ... there's some real good deals going on right now but I have a feeling they would either deny us or charge an absurd deposit.

Thoughts?

Had no problems with ATT, signed up online.

Comment

There should be no problems. I have several iPhones on my account post bankruptcy. They do check your credit. I don't know "what" they are looking for. They are probably looking for old debts to them or another "utility" company (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc).
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I was approved for an ATT iphone a week past discharge. I also was approved for a verizon iphone this week, 18-19 months post discharge. No deposits or anything required in either case. I never bk'ed on any utility.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I didn't try getting a cell phone but I did open a Verizon FIOS account not even a year post discharge. I was concerned that I'd be required to put down a security deposit when I tried to open the account but I was not required to. They let me open the account, no questions asked.
          Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
          Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

We were approved through AT&T and Sprint both after discharging our BK (internet cards, no phones). We now use Straight Talk & a local internet company so we don't have the 2 year contracts.
            Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
            Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

Good to know! We will be looking at new cell plans in November so I was wondering about crazy deposits. We are currently with AT&T and have been for a very long time but I want to rate shop.
              Filed 2/28/11 341 3/24/11 Discharge and Closed 5/24/11

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an advertisment lol (I'm just a customer, they don't know me from John Doe) I'd suggest checking out Straight Talk. They don't have any contracts & its $45 a month for unlimited talk, text & internet or $30 for 1000 min, 1000 text/pics, and internet. information, 411 is free and their customer service is great. They have a facebook page w/ customer service. Every question I have had has been answered w/in about 15 min by a cust. service rep. We had Verizon prior & since it uses Verizon towers, the coverage is the same.
                Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
                Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

I was approved by ATT also for the iPhone and Uverse and I never had to pay a deposit.

Comment

We were approved for ATT also - no deposit. (Approved for two lines).

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X