refinancing car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refinancing car

To all the rebuilding gurus, would it be worth refinancing an auto loan charging 2.9% interest that was included in the BK and thus not reporting to a new auto loan with the credit union charging 3.9% and reporting? Principal owing is @$7500.

Sounds like it will cost $75/yr for the pleasure of doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
      Sounds like it will cost $75/yr for the pleasure of doing so.
      Yes, except if I pay it off in 1 year with reducing principal it should cost @ half that. So the real question is would spending @$40 now increase my credit enough so that if I go to buy a new car in 2 years I will have a better rate then and thus save more money?

Comment

Originally posted by msm859 View Post
        Yes, except if I pay it off in 1 year with reducing principal it should cost @ half that. So the real question is would spending @$40 now increase my credit enough so that if I go to buy a new car in 2 years I will have a better rate then and thus save more money?
        Why don't you just continue to drive the old car?

Comment

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
          Why don't you just continue to drive the old car?
          Good question. Everything is relative though. From 2001 - 2008 I bought 7 new cars for my wife and I. So for me to go 5 years between buying a new car is quite a stretch. Actually, only 1 time in the last 35 years have I ever gone 5 years without buying a new car. So this is the tough part for me. My credit union even told me I could go out and buy a new car if I wanted right now. So for now I am going to be more conservative, but I want to be prepared for that point in the future which for the car I drive will be in 1 year when my lease runs out.

Comment

Yes...but i would ask and ask several different people IF they report to the bureaus and then which ones. Not everyone reports.

Comment

I guess I'd refinance simply because it would tick me off if my timely payments wouldn't be reported - especially after a BK. That reminds me of the loan I had with the buy here, pay here-lot. There were several dealers who offered a loan but I went with the one who reported to at least 2 bureaus. I think that was the minimum I deserved for paying 24% interest.
              Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
              FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
              FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Originally posted by msm859 View Post
                Good question. Everything is relative though. From 2001 - 2008 I bought 7 new cars for my wife and I. So for me to go 5 years between buying a new car is quite a stretch. Actually, only 1 time in the last 35 years have I ever gone 5 years without buying a new car. So this is the tough part for me. My credit union even told me I could go out and buy a new car if I wanted right now. So for now I am going to be more conservative, but I want to be prepared for that point in the future which for the car I drive will be in 1 year when my lease runs out.
                7 cars in 7 years? I'd be in seventh heaven. I haven't had a new or old car for 13 years. I can't wait to get something better.
                Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

I also agree ... I did the same thing. I did a ride through on a car after my BK. Rather than keeping a car with a 5 year loan that wasn't reporting at all I just bought a new one and let the old one go back. This is also an option if you can get a better deal on the interest rate with a new car rather than refinancing your existing one. Otherwise, yea sure refinance it.
                  BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                  Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X