Credit Cards after BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Cards after BK

Just wondering, but at what point are you able to apply for a new credit card after BK? I have a hotel reservation for October and although the room is paid for I know they are going to want a credit card at the time of check in and I don't want a hold showing up on my debit card.

Hi,

I have usually just given hotels my debit card and there has never been a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
      Hi,

I have usually just given hotels my debit card and there has never been a problem.
      I can't afford to have a hold put on my checking account resulting in a check bouncing. Not to mention I've read nightmare stories about holds put on debit cards.

Comment

I received my orchard card right after our discharge, and the capital one a week later. Are you discharged?
        Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
        DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

I don't think you will have been discharged by October, will you?

I honestly think you need to call the hotel and ask them about their debit card hold policies. The last hotel we stayed in (debit card only) only put a $100 hold for "incidentals" against our bank account balance as we paid in cash at check-in for our stay. This was a Marriott, FYI.

Orchard Bank used to issue credit cards to those in a Chapter 13 - now that they were bought out by Capital One, I have no clue what they will do now, particularly since you are a Chapter 7.
          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

You can always get a debit card from Walmart. That way, you don't have holds on your bank account.
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

We put our debt card down in April at a hotel and everything was fine no issue's at all. Someone had a great idea on here for travel have two accounts and get a separate debit card for each. One to pay bills one to use if you travel.

Pam

Comment

You should not apply for a card until after discharge. Some people report getting cards easily after, and others take a while. Hard to predict.
                ~Staci
                Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

I applied for a Paypal debit Mastercard because I wanted to get the 1% back. My Discover card will be going away soon and taking the 5% bonuses with it, so I am having withdrawal pangs from not being able to earn any cashback bonus money.

Anyway, I haven't used the Paypal card yet, because I don't want anybody asking me for my Paypal statements after they see the transfers from my bank account. But I understand the way it works is, you transfer $ from your bank account to the Paypal (or you can buy one of those weird Green Dot moneypak things, too I guess, but that would defeat the whole purpose of the 1% back), then you have a balance to use for the debit card. And it's my understanding -- if anyone knows for certain, pls chime in -- it's not possible to overdraw your paypal balance, that the transaction is just declined if you don't have enough in paypal. So I hope to have a way to control the "hold" thing happening when I use a debit card.

Comment

Thanks to everyone on the forum who mentioned Capital One. I just applied for and got approved for a Capital One - $2,000 credit limit, 0% APR until June 2013, and 19.9% interest. Ch 13 (60 months) finished in February and I've been leery of applying and getting denied. Tonight I decided to try and succeeded. Now to learn from the past and do better!

Comment

Originally posted by kawh View Post
                      I applied for a Paypal debit Mastercard because I wanted to get the 1% back. My Discover card will be going away soon and taking the 5% bonuses with it, so I am having withdrawal pangs from not being able to earn any cashback bonus money.

Anyway, I haven't used the Paypal card yet, because I don't want anybody asking me for my Paypal statements after they see the transfers from my bank account. But I understand the way it works is, you transfer $ from your bank account to the Paypal (or you can buy one of those weird Green Dot moneypak things, too I guess, but that would defeat the whole purpose of the 1% back), then you have a balance to use for the debit card. And it's my understanding -- if anyone knows for certain, pls chime in -- it's not possible to overdraw your paypal balance, that the transaction is just declined if you don't have enough in paypal. So I hope to have a way to control the "hold" thing happening when I use a debit card.
                      The way my Paypal MC debit cards works; if there is money in the Paypal account, that is applied first, and the balance is withdrawn from your backup funds, the bank account the Paypal account is tied to, or charged to a credit card if that is your primary funding option. The transaction isn't declined, but you could end up with extra charges in your bank account if the money isn't there.

My acct. is tied to my bank account, works just like my bank debit card. I use it when I don't want to use my bank number or want PP protection with online purchases; but the main thing is when you sell anything on eBay, you have instant access to your money instead of waiting one to two weeks to transfer into your bank. I also use it instead of my bank DC, when I want the 1% back.

Comment

Originally posted by fslady View Post
                        Thanks to everyone on the forum who mentioned Capital One. I just applied for and got approved for a Capital One - $2,000 credit limit, 0% APR until June 2013, and 19.9% interest. Ch 13 (60 months) finished in February and I've been leery of applying and getting denied. Tonight I decided to try and succeeded. Now to learn from the past and do better!
                        That's great....Did you get an offer from Capital or did you apply online? How long have you been discharged?

I've been discharged a couple of months and was thinking of applying for a card. I did have a couple of accounts with Capital. Hope that doesn't hurt me?

Comment

I had a $60 hold placed on a hotel res that I was NOT notified about. Boy was I p.o.'ed and had to do battle to get it taken off. I live too close to the edge for those little surprises.

Next time I am walking in armed with a prepaid debit card. TD bank sells them with no fee.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

ps You have to register them before you can use them.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I had a experience this past weekend Deerfield bch florida BW, We reserved our room with the cc, upon getting there told them to put it on my debit card for the charges. They had my cc also on file. They debited my room + 40.00 deposit for 5 days on my checking account. Without telling me, I was really mad, As it was terrible room from the beginning, I was too tired to look for another hotel after 5 hr ride. I made them move me to a smokefree room as the one they gave me was smokefilled smell.
                              I did finally get credit for my 40.00 . When I got home, I found out, my cc company put a hold on my cc due to fraud for some reason when this hotel authorized the room fee when reservation was made. The hotel was really old and misrepresented online to appear new. I did report them to tripadvisor.
                              chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X