top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Card NOT included in BK showing as included in BK? Was $0 balance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Card NOT included in BK showing as included in BK? Was $0 balance.

My Kohl's card survived my Ch. 7. It had no balance and wasn't listed on my schedule when I filed.

I've used it several times since my discharge and paid it off in full. Just pulled my free annual report, and even though the card is open, it's showing as being included in my BK. It is also showing as being closed at MY request. But then my balance history shows my recent $39 charge and subsequent payment. Am I correct in thinking this isn't being reported properly? Are all cards actually included in a BK even if you don't owe them anything? This was going to hopefully be something that helped me rebuild. Instead, it's hurting. Advice?

By any chance did Kohl's send you a new card? I'm wondering if they would have closed your previous account and transferred you to a new one, maybe with different terms. One of my cards did that, but I never carry a balance on it anyway so I couldn't even tell you the differences in the terms. They didn't issue me a new card either so maybe your terms just changed. When was the last time you used your Kohl's card? Have you tried calling them to see what the credit limit is and balance just to make sure it's still open? From what I've picked up from this forum, store credit cards are more likely to remain open if you didn't include them in your BK and don't carry balances on them. The only thing I can think of is that Kohl's (and I really mean whichever company holds that card) discovered you had filed for BK and closed your account, but they may have reopened the account or transferred it to a new account with different terms. If this isn't the case maybe you should double check your BK paperwork to make sure that your attorney didn't list the Kohl's card. It could be a mistake on your credit report, but I'm guessing they probably just changed your terms based on the BK. It's probably fine and as long as you use it like you have been then eventually it will help boost your credit.

Comment

It's a very tricky spot to be in. Some people's cards "survived" the bankruptcy, only to have the lender/creditor cancel the card unexpectedly months later. I don't know what to say to you. If you tell the creditor, they may cancel the card! If you don't tell the creditor, they may cancel the card.

What are you hoping to gain?
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks both for the responses.

It definitely wasn't included on my BK paperwork. That was one card I had not used in a long time so I for sure wouldn't have included it on anything. No account number change or antying. I guess I'm glad it still works regardless of how it reports because I can use the awesome 30% off coupons when I need something. It just doesn't seem fair that it's reporting one way on the CR and shows totally differently on my account statements and online kohls.com. The card is through Cap1. I didn't even have them as a creditor through my BK.

I was just hoping to gain one less negative on my CR since I didn't stiff them for anything. Doesn't seem fair that I hadn't used the card for months and now it's a baddie and listed as IIB when they weren't a creditor. But mostly I wanted to use the card to help rebuild my score with a positive repayment history. I guess this is the path I chose to go down filing for BK and getting myself into a financial mess, I just feel like a used tramp or something... They're publicly treating me like a no-good piece of trash they don't want a relationship with anymore, but privately, they're more than happy to use me. I guess that's better than nothing. At least the CR is showing my recent payment history. Just stinks that it's a $2k credit line and it's not even going to help my score at all.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X