top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Credit Card offer in the mail, should I be worried ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Credit Card offer in the mail, should I be worried ????

Not sure if this is the right section to post this or not, feel free to move if it should be somewhere else.

In the mail today I received a CC offer ( not sure if that is the correct term or not but a letter in the mail trying to talk me into signing up for a card). Here is the weird thing, the letter was addressed as from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (a college) and the card is "The One and Only Card Exclusively for California Polytechnic State University Alumni and Friends".

So I never attended Cal Poly, don't know anyone that attended Cal Poly, never set foot on Cal Poly, and I don't live in California. Is this something I should just not worry about, or should I investigate (ie could there be some kind of identity theft going on). I just checked on credit karma, don't see anything new listed, 0 hard pulls in the past 2 years ( which would make sense I am 2.5 years into a CH13)

The "offer" is through Capital One, would I call them to research why I received this? Would I call Cal Poly to make sure that I am not somehow "enrolled"?

Thanks,
    Goon

You have already done a lot. I wouldn't waste your time. You don't want or need a CC, do you? 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

i would just dump it and move on. all sorts of odd things come in the mail, just waiting for one to strike your fancy. we get all sorts of things that are made out personally to us, but in no way apply to any part of our lives. kinda like a poke and hope.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

About all you can do is pull a copy of your credit report, that will reveal all the hard and soft inquiries. What you would be looking for is a string of hard inquiries that seem out of place.

Since the offer actually came to your address, I doubt it is anything you need to worry about; somehow you got on the mailing list (probably a similar name to someone who did attend). If it was identity theft, the offer wouldn't be coming to your address.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, you all reaffirmed what I was hoping (nothing to worry about). Just freaked me out that it was specific to alumni of that school, every other weird offer that I have gotten I could figure out how I could have gotten on their list (sometimes in a 7 degrees to kevin bacon kinda way...) but this one I couldn't come up with a link. I will just not worry about it.

Comment

Speaking of credit cards, I have a question. I'm still in my 60 day holding pattern waiting for discharge, should I be getting credit card offers in the mail? I got one today and I guess I was surprised since I didn't think I'd qualify for anything until after discharge and then I'm not expecting anything great. Is it safe to apply for one of these, or would I most likely be denied when I sent the paperwork back in?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X