top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I join Navy Federal CU through grandparents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I join Navy Federal CU through grandparents?

I'd like to join NFCU, but my only military affiliation is through my now deceased grandparents. All of which served overseas in various branches. I have all of their military papers, awards, and death certificates on hand.

Will being the grandchild of a deceased vet allow me to join?
    BK7 - Discharged May 2011

If they were still alive I would say yes. Part of the eligibility mentions that you are family (grandchildren do count) of a member, or one eligible otherwise. However if they are not alive I don't think they can be members. Perhaps you could try to apply and not mention they are no longer active bankers?

Navy Federal’s field of membership includes current and retired members of the armed forces, their families and household members, Department of Defense personnel and more.
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

If you apply, you will need their Access Number. The "Access Number" is the key to the world! Without an Access Number of an active account, you'd need to qualify the normal way.

Normal ways to qualify are clearly listed on the NFCU website. If you are a dependent or relative, then the person upon whom you rely for membership must have a membership (Access Number) for you to join.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I know people that have joined through deceased relatives... however I think your parents would need to join first and then you join through your parents. I would definately call and ask them.
        BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
        Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

That's odd... since you must be a member in order to extend membership. If someone used a decedent as a reference, the deceased must have had an account. (Unless we're talking about a deceased annuitant's heirs where the benefits were passed from the DoD pension.)

I'm not sure if the person upon whom you rely needs an account. I think they may need to be eligible, but that may just mean they still need to open an account.

This is quite easily settled by calling NFCU Membership.

(I'm a member, and they can be strict at times. They love to request "documentation".)
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I need to try to get membership with USAA. My father did serve in the army for a couple of years.. but I don't think he's done anything beyond that. I will be finding out if he needs to be a member. It seems at least through the online registration process, the relative doesn't need to be a member. They just need to verify that person is eligible. I wonder what type of verification processes they do to make sure someone is eligible.

Edit: oops, sorry. for some reason, i thought I was in a USAA thread.
            Last edited by CCsAreEvil; 10-22-2012, 07:25 AM. Reason: wrong thread
            Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Here is the requirements from the NFCU website:

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration.
              If you fall under any of these categories, you're eligible to join:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and
              Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees
              and annuitants

All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All Delayed Entry Program (DEP) Personnel

All DoD Officer Candidate programs—Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy,
              United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy
              and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs*

U.S. government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees—including retirees and annuitants

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Still not sure if you are eligible? Use our Membership Eligibility Wizard or call us at 1-888-842-6328.

I qualified on my own as I work for a DOD Contractor but when I signed my brother up I had to do it and they wanted my member number. No member number no account unless you self-qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                That's odd... since you must be a member in order to extend membership. If someone used a decedent as a reference, the deceased must have had an account. (Unless we're talking about a deceased annuitant's heirs where the benefits were passed from the DoD pension.)

I'm not sure if the person upon whom you rely needs an account. I think they may need to be eligible, but that may just mean they still need to open an account.

This is quite easily settled by calling NFCU Membership.

(I'm a member, and they can be strict at times. They love to request "documentation".)
                Yea, I hear ya... there is always a big debate on their eligiblity requirements on the forums. Sometimes I have seen people call and and the CSR says they are eligible and they sign them up but as soon as they apply for credit or something they go through account review and then come to find out that they really aren't eligible. They are definately sticklers and I have seen people loose accounts after years of being members. So, I would definately make sure your ducks are in a row.
                BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

I think the rules are pretty clear "Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Now I suppose that could mean that your family members dont need to join to extend a membership to you but it sure looks that way to me

Comment

Family members do not need to be members - they just have to be eligible to join, and then you can join. I got in through both of my parents, they never joined but they were able to look them up in the military record system to see that they were eligible therefore making me eligible.
                    Chapter 7 Filed 2/28/2012
                    Discharged 7/24/2012
                    Cased Closed 8/7/2012

Comment

My quote come directly from NFCU. I called and asked and the said "The family member extending eligibility to you MUST be a member". Perhaps the NFCU website and customer service agents are misinformed but I doubt it.

Comment

If you are/were a dependent, the eligibility may be slightly different than someone depending on a non-resident "relative" or roommate.

Comment

I was not a dependent. My dad was in the Navy 50 years ago. He is NOT a member. When I tried to join they told me my dad had to be a member and have a member number for me to be eligible. I later was and am still employed by a DOD civilian contractor and qualified on my own.

Comment

What proof did they request working for the DOD contractor? I work in the IT field (just not exactly for a contractor) and part of my requirements are to have all NSA, DOD, and CNSS 4011 Recognition certifications.
                            BK7 - Discharged May 2011

Comment

I simply put the name of my employer and the agency with which we have a contracting relationship. In our case it is the Coast Guard and the Army. They asked for no physical paperwork just the name. I was approved in 24 hours.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X