Credit cards after BK advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit cards after BK advice

I filed chapter 7 and was discharged in 2007. Five years later I'm back, filing a chapter 13. Here is my story...

I got credit cards after my BK.

I thought...
    I needed them (I didn't)
    I could handle the temptation to use them (well established habits are hard to break)
    I could make the payments (I could have saved for what I wanted)
    They were for an emergency (I could have saved for an emergency)
    I had to have it for work (not really)
    I needed one to rent a car (I never rent cars)
    I would use it just this once (just this once happens more than once)
    I'll pay it off as soon as I get paid (ok, next payday I'll pay it off...)
    I need it to reestablish credit (My credit is worse now than it was after my Ch 7 discharge)
    I need it for online purchases (Lame)
    It's safer to use than a debit card (maybe, but I didn't stop using my debit card)
    It's embarrassing to not have the money to go out with friends (get a grip and suck it up)
    I won't use it (yeah, right)
    I'll leave them at home when I shop (except for this one, in case of an emergency)
    I'll let my daughter charge her text books and pay it off (she paid me back but did I pay off the card?)
    It was exciting to get a credit card (that's just pathetic)

Carefully consider your motivations and realistically assess your needs before acquiring credit cards after BK.
    Filed Ch. 7 - 11/30/06; 341 meeting 1/10/07; Discharged 3/19/07
    TU: 535

Thank you for your advice and why we are shying away from them

Comment

Hey NF, this new thread should be made a "stickies". I have preached this all along. My solution to some of the "excuses" is to carry a folded (or laminate it in paper) 100 dollar bill in the innards of your wallet. IF you have an emergency, or IF you are embarrassed because your DEBIT card is declined, you then can pay cash. Then replace and forget it exist until such a thing happens. Works for me. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I agree this should be a sticky. there is so much truth in it.

GL OP

Comment

Great information for those that may need to hear this.
          Chapter 7 Filed 2/28/2012
          Discharged 7/24/2012
          Cased Closed 8/7/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X