Capital One credit card after 1 yr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital One credit card after 1 yr

Well, husband got one, not me. He's been getting offers like crazy since discharge. His income is very low, so I didn't bother applying. I tried to get the Barclays card after 6 mo, since I have the main income and no go. I haven't gotten any offers in the mail still after a yr. We answered the Capital One (they send a couple a week) and got instant approval. $500 limit, no annual fee.

I think my problem is that I had a judgement I was paying on a year before I filed. So I should have filed at least a year sooner than I did. I just kept thinking things would get better.

Since our money is all together, it doesn't really matter who has better credit, as long as one of us is moving forward. (No one wants anything to do with me. ) Applied with a local bank to try to get a loan for a badly needed new roof. I just used his name, and added my income as additional. So we'll see how that goes.

It feels good to be a year since filing.
    BK7 Filed 7/10/12 • 341 8/15/12 • Discharged 10/17/12 • Closed 5/6/13 Thanks to everyone here!

Stray, that judgment shouldn't be affecting your scores all that much, and paying on it before filing doesn't mean anything (I had one of those too, it was dismissed after filing and is off my reports.)

Have you checked your reports lately to see if everything is reporting correctly? Your judgment should at least be marked as satisfied. (Getting it dismissed or vacated is another matter.) Get all 3 of your reports from www.annualcreditreport.com, if you haven't done so in the last 12 months.

Comment

for the record, I didn't get a Barclays until 3.5 years after discharge. I found out Barclays wants to see people re-proving their creditworthiness after BK (for at least a year or 2). Also I noticed they frown BIG on anything but "low" utilization. I heard they like to see ideally under 10% credit utilization.

I also received the CapOne.. but I've learned this type of card I have is "stuck" at the $750 CL I have. However, I will keep it for now to help my debt-to-limit ratio.
      Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

I just got my Chapter 13 discharge in May of this year and 6 weeks later got the Barclays Rewards card. Also 2 cards from Cap One. All 3 have low credit lines but I am fine with that. I am going to just use them for gas (I will rotate using them each month).

Comment

Please forgive me on this but I thought a judgement was released after BK? Wouldn't that be treated the same as a collection post BK?

Stray: I love your avatar! My guess your cat is a female? What is her name?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X