Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
    Hi,

We have been discharged for about 1 year this month (boy how time flies!). Anyway - we have not applied for any credit. I will be having huge student loans coming out of "grace" next month, so am planning on using those to build credit.

Are we wrong not to get credit card???

Thanks!

Lynn

Hi, Lynn!

I don't think anyone is ever wrong for not having a credit card. Your student loans will help you build credit. Unless you plan on buying a house in the next year or two, there is no rush to improve your score.
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

the last time I got one "we need to review" replies it was with Montgomery Ward. They called me on the phone and asked me questions about my car and what color it was. After about 5 minutes they said I was approved for a $300 limit.

Comment

Has anyone tried Discover after BK?

Comment

Originally posted by Pjmax View Post
          The Cap One Quicksilver Visa is for excellent credit, the QuicksilverOne Mastercard is for average credit. The Quicksilvers replaced the "No Hassle" Rewards Cards. All Cap One's Visas are for Excellent credit.

Many people who BK'd Cap One were approved for cards after BK, some right after, some down the road. They are not known for having a blacklist.
          I know they blacklist, because I got this response with no hard pull "denied at this time due to past Capital One obligations", maybe it's a temporary thing but the fact they did not do a hard pull tells me they have me flagged. Card was Cap One Secured, so that is even more puzzling.
          Last edited by ccmisery; 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ellis2156 View Post
            Has anyone tried Discover after BK?
            No, but they were one of my creditors.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              Hi, Lynn!

I don't think anyone is ever wrong for not having a credit card. Your student loans will help you build credit. Unless you plan on buying a house in the next year or two, there is no rush to improve your score.
              Thanks! We are still in our house, may try and get something different closer to retirement (about 10 yrs) - in my fantasy our home will be paid for in cash/or our current home paid for at retirement.

Comment

I have heard Discover and Amex never forget a BK.

Comment

Well I tried calling twice - No GO on the Barclay's Recon - stated I had a BK on my file and they like to see history (scripted response) Gee I have a BK never knew! Sending letter help at all?

BTW I BK'd 2 Cap one Cards (total of about $7k) and they still gave me a card; so we know they don't blacklist.

Comment

Originally posted by professorkev View Post
                    Well I tried calling twice - No GO on the Barclay's Recon - stated I had a BK on my file and they like to see history (scripted response) Gee I have a BK never knew! Sending letter help at all?

BTW I BK'd 2 Cap one Cards (total of about $7k) and they still gave me a card; so we know they don't blacklist.
                    Maybe not you, but they blacklisted me, maybe it's selective, I can't say but when they do not even do a hard or soft pull when you apply for a card, then it's obvious.

Comment

yeah your right, that would be a dead giveaway. I don know my former CC blacklisted me, I received notice years ago that they were giving me warning they would be voting to BAN from ever having any business with them. also know Navy blacklisted me; they lost alot from me.

Comment

Professorkev, what's cap one recon number? I tried CLI request on-line and got "you will receive a letter in the mail".Thanks,

Originally posted by professorkev View Post
                        Thanks; I know, it's a crap shoot on the timing. I still have to call in, but thinking maybe I might just wait. will chime back in.
                        Cap one recon line told me I would have to wait on the >300 increase, I asked for double. argh. $300. What I need to do is just have the wife add me as authorized user on her excellent credit card, just for the history and boost, not for use.

Comment

I used a number here on the board. Didn't help, they said to try the Luv Button, But I'll try it in about 2 months, not now.

Comment

I filed in July. Was discharged in October. Have a FICO of 640, not too terrible. When I filed, I wasn't behind on any payments.

Is it too soon to apply for non-secured cards like Barclays and C1?

I don't want to damage my chances by applying too soon.

Thanks!
                            Steve

Comment

From my experience Barclays wants to see some length of time between you and your BK, and you will have better luck with some cards over others. For example, when I applied for Barclays I was over a year out from BK and they instantly approved me for Apple financing in the amount of $1200. This was after I had built some credit back with a CreditOne and Orchard card. A couple of months later I tried for the Barnes and Noble card and they said no, citing that they wanted to see more time between me and my BK. In my experience I would not bother with Barclays unless you are at least a year out.
                              Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
                              Discharged: August 2010
                              A life lesson well learned.

Comment

Sailing, you can try Capital One, just make sure it's a card for average credit, the Visas are for excellent credit. I was approved 2 mos. from discharge, and a second card 3 1/2 mos. out. Iswmie is right on with Barclay's from what I've heard. You can try Barclay's 6 mos. out, some folks do get approved; but, generally, if you haven't applied for anything else in the 6 mos. before. They evidentally don't like inquiries and other card applications.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X