Citibank Robo CC approval/denial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citibank Robo CC approval/denial

Pre BK I had several gas cards that were all issued by Citibank. None had balances and all had spotless payment histories... no lates. All were closed after I filed by Citibank. I did have a Citibank Visa that did have a balance that was discharged in my BK however there were no lates ever right up until I filed.
    Now I've tried to apply for 2 gas cards and have been automatically denied with the denial letter stating Chapter 7. These are forms letters which prompted me to call their credit review department. I was told that their CSR would not be able to look at past or present credit history because of Chapter 7. It seems odd to me that I will be denied for 10 years regardless of my pre and post BK credit history.
    Does anyone have a phone number or have a similar situation where you can talk to someone at Citibank who would have the authority to override BK when deciding to deny or grant a gas card? If not I'm limited to Marathon and Chevron Texaco for 6 more years. BTW I do have a Best Buy MasterCard through Citibank.
    Thanks for any replies.

If CitiBank is not BK friendly for a specific affinity card, then they are not BK friendly (for that affinity card). Both CitiBank and the merchant set the criteria and I think the first think that CitiBank asks on an application is whether you have ever filed for bankruptcy. That tells me that bankruptcy is a major decision factor for them.

I would not worry about getting credit in general, but more specifically I would not be concerned that one particular card is unobtainable! I know I'm blacklisted from AMEX for life. So be it. I'm probably better off!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Just Broke, and yes like you, I'm better off without any Citibank gas cards. I was applying for a gas specific card to ExxonMobil, (BP, Sunoco, Shell are all issued by Citibank). I like these cards for long trips that I drive, usually 1300+ miles up to 3 or 4 times a year. However I can use a MC or Visa specific for gasoline and keep track that way. Maybe it's the principal?
      I can't believe AMEX would blacklist you for life. It seems that after a few years they would appreciate your business again. I know I've learned my lesson as far as over extending myself. It wasn't from loss of work, I was caught up in the "buy a nice house that I can't afford with zero down" frenzy.

Comment

I had a Shell card before bankruptcy. I was unable to obtain one 5 years after filing (3 years after discharge). I have a Chevron card and I keep the balance under 20% (of $750 line). Chevron/Taxaco is quite useless where I live, but I only use it when I need to. I actually had a $0 balance for last year with that card and use it only for summer long-distance travel.

As you mention, you could always use an MC or VISA branded credit or debit card.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

You might think about a Car Care One card. It's a GE card (very BK friendly) and can be used at Exxon/Mobil. If you are looking fir a dedicated gas card, this may work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            I would not be concerned that one particular card is unobtainable! I know I'm blacklisted from AMEX for life. So be it. I'm probably better off!
            I'm on the AMEX blacklist, too. Technically, I could pay them back about 10K and get on the Oasis program, but.....nah, I'll stay blacklisted.
            Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X