Working on My New Washing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on My New Washing Machine

I know this is gonna sound a little hokie, but,............ A washing machine is very important in a household of 6 people. Especially with 3 teenagers.

Our 12-14 year old washing machine bit the dust around the middle of November. It needed a transmission and a clutch. Parts alone were the cost of a new machine. So we decided not to repair the old one.

I bought quarters and made the trek to the laundry mat a couple of times while we shopped around. New washers are expensive. It's like sticker shock when you haven't shopped cars in a while. AND, the Laundry mat was costing $30+ a trip.

The repair place I'd called to see about ours when it broke down sells a few used appliances they've gone over. They had a Whirlpool family size washer for $150 and it came with a 90 day warranty.

Soooooooo,.............. We decided to go for the used machine. AND, we are paying ourselves to wash clothes. When we did laundry at the laundry mat, a top loader cost a minimum of $2.50 to wash and dry a load. So every load here costs $2.50 to wash and dry.

We take quarters out of a cottage cheese tub and pay a coffee can. When we start to run out of quarters in the cottage cheese tub, we cash out, put a $20 in the coffee can and put the quarters back in the cottage cheese tub.

So far, we have saved about $100 toward our new washing machine. Depending on how long this washing machine lasts, we may be able to save up for a new washer/dryer pair when we finally do buy.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Good for you, SF! Glad you found a used washer that met your needs, and what a great idea to direct the money that you would have spent at the laundromat towards a new machine when it's time for that. Great savings idea!
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

You might really be "amazed" at how long that used washing machine will last, you may save enought to buy you a complete "new set".......
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Well I don't plan on doing anything about getting a new washing machine until I have to.

We didn't seem to be making as much headway as we would have liked "paying" $2.50/washer load. So we've upped the ante to $3/load. Trying to save money a little faster.

Part of why I don't mind waiting is we know our needs may change radically within a few short years. Kids are in college. They won't continue to live with us forever. <<We hope!! >>

Mom thought we were gonna just use the "new" washer until we got enough money to buy a replacement. I said "Heck NO!!". We're gonna use it until it dies, and then we'll shop.

That's what we're hoping for, Minny. That we can save enough to buy a brand new pair. Washer and dryer. Possibly,....... Hopefully,........ The last pair we'll buy??!!
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

12/12/06 - Filed No Asset Chapter 7 - 85K on CC's
          01/16/07 - 341 drum circle 02/06/07 -US Trustee Review
          03/19/07 - Objection Deadline - 03/21/07 Discharged/Closed
          sigpic

Comment

That is absolutely ingenious, Sinkingfast - good for you! I myself have turned into the "avid saver" (i.e. if you are not in the room with the tv and lights on, TURN THEM OFF....slowly trying to teach my kids - and my husband - that we don't NEED all of this stuff all of the time!!!!!) - even grocery shopping is a totally different experience for me now - I do NOT bring the kids (they distract me, get me worked up sometimes, and I give in to needless items)...soda is a luxury, not a right!!!!!!

Again, what a great idea!!!!!!

Comment

Oh and PS - sign up for the yahoo group freecycle - www.freecycle.org - you can sign up for your "area specific" group from there - it's a site created to keep things out of the landfills, and people post TONS of good stuff on there - even appliances when they are upgrading, etc. - I have gotten a hot water tank for our boiler that was never used, an exercise bike (saved myself some needless cash because lo and behold, I havent used it yet!), an almost new crib for my daughter, etc......AND, when it's time to get rid off all the junk collected in your own basement for years, it's a great way to give it to someone who will use it rather than throw it out!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X