Self Sufficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Sufficiency

We have learned (through sad experience) that self sufficiency is the only SURE way to prevent future dependence on debt.

A garden can save a tremendous amount of money if executed with care. In many areas wood burning stoves are free for the taking and wood cutting cheap but labor intensive (many pallet places give away all of the old pallet wood from enormous stacks!) Clothing can be had from the thrift stores that is new or reasonably close to new, that can be stored for a rainy day or used now.

Tools and repair work are not that difficult (I am a trained mechanic who worked with some very dull witted people that could turn a wrench). Mechanics charge $35-70/hr. for their time. By that equation my vehicle should be worth a lot!!! As it is we sold our $23,000 suv and got a $1400 non functional fire sale 1980's suv. We now have $2,500-3,000 (total) into it and it is about new again.

We are the jack of all trade sort, and know that anyone else can be too.
    Filed Pro Se 9-27-07
    341 Telephonically 10-30-07
    Discharged 1-16-2008!
    Closed 1-22-2008!

Exactly!!.. Why not add into skills ==>> plumbing, electrical, gas/heat, A/C, roofing, siding, carpentry, painting, etc.. and also computer/PC skills, washer/dryer, appliances, etc.. that ALL you can read from BOOKS and learn by DOING the novice/dummy way !!...

Comment

My husband and I are both handy and have done our own home and car repairs for years. We're in Ch 13 now so don't have money to replace appliances and other high-ticket items. Over the last month our dishwasher gradually stopped filling with water. I did some research on the net, and hubby checked the two most likely causes. Turns out an easily replaced part was the problem. He got the part from Sears, installed it, and the dishwasher is working fine. We saved ourselves hundreds of dollars!

The next day our waterbed sprung a small leak (amazing how everything falls apart at the same time! ). We figured out where the leak was in a corner of the water mattress. Hubby fixed that with a special waterbed patch, so no need for replacement. Saved ourselves hundreds of dollars again!

We're big fans of do-it-yourself. Even if you've never tried it before, there are all kinds of helps out on the net. Here's an excellent site to help you figure out what's wrong with your appliances - http://www.repairclinic.com/ Happy savings!
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I'm a big do it yourselfer too. More so than my DH. We had water coming in around a window. I repaired it, and it doesn't leak anymore.

I've replaced light switches, and have done some plumbing repairs too. It feels good to be able to do things for yourself, plus saving money is always a bonus.
        Filed August 31, 2007
        341 Meeting October 10, 2007

Comment

I'll ditto how great it feels to be able to do something yourself.

Before I filed Ch. 7 and was REALLY REALLY REALLY broke, our garbage disposal wasn't working. Well I went and got some books on household repairs, plus checked the internet, and voila, my son and I fixed it in one night. Also found we needed to repair the electrical switch that controlled the disposal...we did that too!!!
          Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
          341 Meeting July 19, 2007
          Discharged September 17, 2007
          Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Hee! I listed $ 1000.00 worth of books on my petition. I was questioned about them by the 341 trustee.

She said " these books, what are they?"

I stuttered a bit and said, "mostly how-to books."

She said "about what?"

I said "welllll.... everything from how to doctor your animals to how to fix a roof to how to make cheese to...."

Nodding and smiling, she said "how to file your own bankruptcy?"

I couldn't help giggling, and she did too. But then she snapped right back to being a trustee.

I bet they see a lot of people like us!

Comment

LOVE MY "HOW-TO-BOOKS" - been using them for years.............

Carpentery, repairs, creating, building, sewing, medical needs and remedies, etc......

Love the "Dummy Books" - started out with "DOS for Dummies" - then PC's for Dummies, and so forth.......

If I have to pay to have something done - IT'S BECAUSE I CAN'T LIFT IT, OR THE PROJECT IS JUST TOO BIG......

I'm not a very good mechanic, but at least I know what the problem is BEFORE I get someone to fix it for me......

Yep, the books are great......
              Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

I'm big into DIY. Like Minny said, even if you have to hire somebody, they won't be able to cheat you because you'll know what's going on!
                Filed Chapter 7 pro se- 7/24/07
                341 Meeting - 9/13/07 Done!
                Last day for objections - 11/12/07
                Discharged!!!! -11/26/07

Comment

My problem is that repairs whether done by myself, or done by others will still cost more money than I have. I don't know anyone who doesnt have a few peppers and tomatoes growing outside their houses or apartments. Does 20 dollars worth of tomatoes actually help you as much as you think? I was thinking that someone would diss me for spending 5.00 for Chinese food when I owe someone a 200.00 dollar bill. Well, if I only have 10.00 dollars, you cant fault me for not paying the stupid bill, and yet if they think I have any money at all, it ought to go to creditors and not my stomach. Sorry guys, I pay my stomach first.
                  Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

For Books and the internet....

Bought 3 old Diesel VW's for $150.. Made one out of three, did some junk yard diving and found alot of the componets to make it run on old fryer grease..

Total investment in car = $500 (Excluding maintenance that I do myself)
                    Monthly fuel driving 3000 mi a month = $83 @ $4.97/gal

When I moved back with my parents several years ago I helped with the bills.. Which were a little nutty... So I went a little nutty myself.. Or at least that's what they thought at firstL

Built a waste motor/fryer oil burner out of scrap steel I scouped up here and there = $27 for welding rods and bolts Slashed the bill for heating oil by 3/4..

Made my own energy efficient lights out of led's and resistors bought from ebay $25.. They'll last 10 years plus and made a difference on the elctric bill..

Made a hole behind the house for a freshwater spring.. In the summer I circulate the 56 deg water through a big truck radiator and have a blower blowing the cooled air though the house, air conditioning for next to nothing... All the componets were free other than some bolts and such....

It's great having friends in the right places to source some of this "junk" for nothing.... Craigslist is golden too!

Now if I could just score some cheap to free solar panels or a windmill....
                    $13,569 in CC debt majority in collections.. After a few surprises filed Friday Feb 13th....

Comment

Maxfax, I am the same way. I burn strained french fry (peanut) oil in my tractor. I have a VW TDI and have done same but lesser degree as I cannot afford to chance a problem with it. I have a Kaboda tractor, every 200 hours it needs it's hydrolic oil changed. What to do with five gallons of hypoid oil? Cut the grass with it. Works fine.

We are kindred spirits. 'Hub

Ps. I've built three passive solar water heaters. Could skald you in the winter even.
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Yeah I've heard that TDI's can be rather fussy about what you burn in them... Not too worried myself as Rabbits do multiply rather quickley... Bought the first three and ended up with to more... I have garage full of spare parts for it now...

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                        Ps. I've built three passive solar water heaters. Could skald you in the winter even.
                        Cool... I been looking into these... I think this spring when the weather is warmer I may start the hunt and see what I can find for buidling such a beast.. Have other issues that need sorting first... Like finding a good attorney...
                        $13,569 in CC debt majority in collections.. After a few surprises filed Friday Feb 13th....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X