Help--Calling all mechanically inclined persons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help--Calling all mechanically inclined persons

My microwave is on the blink and I need some help as I can't find a suitable replacement in my price range. The microwave works fine, but the shield has a hole burned in it and it's causing the food to arc and the shield is catching fire. Every microwave I've looked at has a plastic shield where mine is some sort of paper/woven fabric glued to the inside body of the microwave. So my questions are:

1. What type of paper/fabric should I use to make a substitute
    2. What kind of glue should I use to affix my newly made shield

Thanks

Granny

P.S. I looked at the manufacturer's website and this part is no longer available. I spoke to a repair center and they said they could fashion one, so I know this can be done. However, shipping would probably cost the same as buying a more expensive replacement.
    I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Are you talking about the lining on the inside of the door??

It's called a splatter shield or some such name, I think.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

No, it's on the right side of the inside of the microwave and it is supposed to prevent arcing. It's called a wave guide. The fabric may be some kind of fiberglass cloth.
      Last edited by Granny; 07-30-2007, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Here's Repair Clinic's microwave area - http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_6.asp - I love this site - it's saved us hundreds of dollars! Here's what Repair Clinic recommends doing when you have arcing inside the microwave:

When you see arcing inside your microwave, it's because of food or liquid left in the cavity or on the wave-guide cover:

If the wave guide has any burn spots, replace it and clean the unit well.

If the cavity has any burn spots, spot-sand it smooth and touch it up with microwave interior paint.

Note… If there are any burn holes in the cavity, don't use the unit-seek help from a qualified appliance repair technician.

From your description, it sounds like you have a burn hole. That means you probably aren't going to be able to fix the microwave yourself

Have you looked at Goodwill or other thrift shops for a cheap replacement? Garage sales, moving sales, and swap meets are good places to look too. And there's always Craig's List www.craigslist.com to check as well. You should be able to find a working (and safe!) microwave replacement for less than $25.
        Last edited by lrprn; 07-30-2007, 06:56 PM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
          Here's Repair Clinic's microwave area - http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_6.asp - I love this site - it's saved us hundreds of dollars! Here's what Repair Clinic recommends doing when you have arcing inside the microwave:

From your description, it sounds like you have a burn hole. That means you probably aren't going to be able to fix the microwave yourself
          By golly, Lrprn you are amazing! There was the wave guide on the link you provided.

I sincerely believe it caught fire the first time due to a build up of grease or other unidentified gunk. The wave guide is made out of some sort of mesh/woven fabric and the first time it caught fire I was making popcorn for the kids.

I'll search the site some more to see if I can find an adhesive and give it a shot at a home repair before I hit the thrift stores. The good thrift stores are on the opposite side of town and purchasing the part will be cheaper than spending the money for the gas to get to the thrift store.

Thanks for the link, it's a keeper.

Comment

Microwave radiation can be dangerous, as it is tuned to the frequency that excites water molecules, causing motion, and thus heating. Your body is 70+% water. Therefore, if the shield on your microwave is compromised, you can literally cook yourself if you stand near it as it operates. I have done research on microwave heating (I have a PhD in electrochemistry, and one of my graduate school projects involved thermal processing of polymer films via microwave). So I'm not just saying this as some uninformed person off the street afraid of technology. There are microwave leak detectors that you can use to test if your microwave is compromised, but I'm guessing you probably wouldn't want to spend the $25 or whatever they run these days to buy one if you aren't open to getting a used microwave at a garage sale. But I really worry that trying to fix one yourself could be dangerous if the shielding is in any way compromised. So be very careful, please!
            Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
            Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

While making a bag of popcorn our microwave starting arcing. Food splatter or something burned a hole in the liner and exposed a metal part. I could not find a local repair guy that worked on microwaves. They all told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one than try to fix it.
              I bought a $40 microwave from Wal-Mart untill I could afford to buy another built-in. If you cannot afford one, you might check freecycle.org to see if someone in your community is giving one away.
              Good Luck
              Daniel
              (link deleted by moderator - prior permission required from forum administrator)
              Do you got what it takes to live a debt free life?

Comment

Thank you both for the reply, but I have already fixed the microwave, for less than 15.00. The waveguide in this particular microwave is made of mica, and although I couldn't order the exact part. I could order a large sheet of it and cut it to fit with a pair of scissors. The piece I cut matches exactly to the one that was burned, and once it was screwed in, there was a tight seal. I truly don't believe we are in any danger, but I do appreciate your concern.

Now we have a bigger and much more costly problem. the heater core of my Crown Vic is going out and we are breathing in antifreeze vapors. Hubby and I are both mechanically inclined, but that is going to be such a big job. My auto repair guy wants $840.00 and the part is only $70.00 so it's a very labor intensive job. At that price, we will be doing it ourselves. My concern is we will have to take out the air bags and most of the dash to get to the heater core. Any suggestions?
                Last edited by Granny; 10-13-2007, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by woeisme View Post
                  So be very careful, please!
                  I have never seen a microwave that does not leak radiation. I have seen thousands of them come thru & they all leak when they come in & they leak when they go out & they leak when brand new. It is a very small amount but standing next to one in use constanly would not be a good idea. Can never be too careful with them.

Originally posted by Granny View Post
                  Thank you both for the reply, but I have already fixed the microwave, for less than 15.00. The waveguide in this particular microwave is made of mica, and although I couldn't order the exact part. I could order a large sheet of it and cut it to fit with a pair of scissors. The piece I cut matches exactly to the one that was burned, and one it was screwed in, there was a tight seal. I truly don't believe we are in any danger, but I do appreciate your concern.

My auto repair guy wants $840.00 and the part is only $70.00 so it's a very labor intensive job. At that price, we will be doing it ourselves. My concern is we will have to take out the air bags and most of the dash to get to the heater core. Any suggestions?
                  You did the micro correct. That was an easy repair but would cost about 60-80 for someone to do it.

Heater core does cost a lot, I never did one but it is not an easy job, that I know. I know someone in florida who had his mechanic remove or disconnect them permanent & just connect the two in & out hoses together because they never used the heater in their cars. It was cheaper than to mess with it through the dash if it starts leaking & those cars ran a lot of miles. That is the easy fix if you don't need heat.
                  I thought it was warm in Texas. You mean it gets cold there? I remember it was cold in Dallas but not that cold. Ya better hurry if it is going to get cold.

That should only cost about 500 to repair in labor, not 840. It would be easier to get to in a truck. You probably will have to take the dash apart. My only suggestion is get a manual & put all the parts in order as they come off.
                  Best of luck on that one.

Comment

I got the Chilton's manual yesterday from the library. it requires pulling out most of the dash. It is easily an 8 hour job, if you know what you are doing.

But I also found that there has been a class action lawsuit for the Crown Vic's and Grand Marquis that involves a plastic intake manifold. Not the big intake manifold but a little on that attaches to the heater hoses. Now I just have to determine if this intake manifold is what is causing coolant vapor to come through the A/C vents. I'm hoping that is the cause and it's not the heater core after all.

And yes it does get cold in Texas. In 1989 or so, we had a cold spell where it didn't get above 32 for like 10 days. We have hard freezes almost ever year and with little ones in the car again, heat will be a necessity. There's a lot of days where you turn onthe heater in the morning and the A/C in the afternoon. Go figure.

Comment

The Repair clinic is great. I have 2 Microwaves in the basement, both pfutzed out on me. One is an exceptionally nice stainless steel one. I was very sad to see it go. Now maybe I can fix it.

Oh Granny, I know Texas can get cold. I lived next door in New Mexico for many years. It freezes there also.
                      Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

I can't help you with a fix, but you can try freecycle and see if anyone has an old microwave they are trying to get rid of. Have you looked at salvation army or goodwill?

sorry, I guess I should read replies before posting myself!

Good luck with the car. i admire your ability to fix this stuff yourself. I'm a smart person, but not smart enough to mess with my car.
                        Last edited by kl030505; 01-31-2008, 06:45 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X