Deals on kids clothing..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deals on kids clothing..........

New to the forum and I am really getting a ton of info on where to shave money on food costs, etc... So now I am wondering where do you find the best deals on kids clothing? I have 4 boys and my older two are so hard on clothes, very little makes it down to the next two. I have used second hand stores alot but it is so hit or miss, and some of it is more expensive than finding things on a good sale brand new at a regular store. I do Goodwill and Salvation Army too, but as my older two are 6 and 7 I know that is only going to last so much longer. We live pretty simply already- my boys were Walmart, Target, Kohl's etc and look quite handsome doing so. Any tips ot suggestions to shave a little off the clothing budget is much appreciated!!
    Filed: 3/12/08
    341 Meeting: 4/11/08
    Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

The biggest thing I've realized as far as kids clothes go is they really don't need SO MANY outfits. I'm the first to go to the consignment shops, etc...but as you stated, sometimes even the second hand shops are too pricey. Finding stuff that our little one has never even worn, or worse yet, with the tags still on made me realize that she really doesn't need as much as she has in her closet and dresser. And boys are even easier, I think. A couple pair of jeans and a couple pair of khakis with shirts that match both, you're all set. I've started doing that with our almost 5yo girl (who REFUSES to wear pants/jeans most days!)....couple of jean skirts, a brown corduroy skirt and a khaki skirt....6 or 7 tops that match all the skirts...woo hoo...a whole weeks worth of outfits!

Sounds like you're already on the right track!!!
    4/7/07 Filed Ch7 :unsure:
    6/6/07 341 meeting done :blink:
    8/5/07 last day for objections :yes2:
    8/23/07 DISCHARGED!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I don't know what else you could do, sounds like you've got it down already. I shop Salvation Army for my 2 girls. (4 and 1). I always find the nicest clothes. I also shop Walmart and Target because their kids clothes are SO much cheaper than other places.

Sorry I couldn't help much But keep up the good work. OH, I also shop yard sales during the summer for nice clothes that will fit the kids for the next couple years - that way I'm ready when they hit a new age.
      Sarah H Owosso, MI
      WE DID IT!! PRO SE
      Filed 7/30/07 341 meeting 9/20/07 60 DAY CLUB 11/19/07!!! :yahoo::yahoo:
      DISCHARGED!!! 11-26-07:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: CLOSED 12-06-07 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Check out WWW.CRAIGSLIST.COM its a big on line "garage sale," as I view it. You click on the state where your at and the closest city. Many people sell their stuff at very reasonable "garage sale," prices. Unlike ebay, you can post the item you want to get rid of. Or you can search for items you need that others are trying to sell. I've sold quiet a few things there, no fees! The only risk is having a stranger meet you to pick it up. But of course I haven't experienced any horror stories myself. But I had great success in selling a brand new bird cage, used tires, used racing exhaust. etc etc etc. (within my local area) and I always meet them at a designated public place near my residence!

Good Luck, Catchmeifyoucan
        July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
        Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
        Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
        Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I will definitely check out Craig's list. I always forget about that site. I have used ebay before- both to buy and sell- but sometimes the effort and shipping costs outweigh the benefits. Garage sales were pitiful here last year- but maybe with the economic downslide more people will be trying to get some fast cash this spring. Thanks so much for your suggestions- right now every penny counts!
          Filed: 3/12/08
          341 Meeting: 4/11/08
          Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

While Walmart does have fabulous prices on clothing, the majority of their clothing is made in China and I have had kids and adult clothing not make it past the first machine washing. Shop wisely there if you need clothing to make it past a few wearings. Goodwill over the past year has raised it prices on clothing but is still one of the best to find good, decent used childrens' clothing at a good price. I love Old Navy clothing for kids. Watch for markdowns at end of season and they also have a large sale area for adult clothing marked down 30 to 50% or higher. They usually also have a childrens' sale area with the same markdowns.

I have seen people on eBay sell "lots" of adults' and childrens' clothing, new and used (example - a group of, say, maybe 10 pants or 10 tops). If you check that out, check out the sellers' rating with past buyers and watch the shipping costs. Many sellers will keep the price of the article(s) down while inflating shipping costs. If you become eBay savvy, you will learn how sellers operate and which type to avoid. There are the sellers' who are just cleaning out their closets and are trying to make some money on unused clothing and then you have the businesses on there. You will probably make out better going with the seller cleaning out the closets than with the business because the businesses know how to make the most off of eBay and many sell for clients so need to inflate the prices and/or shipping.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

We shop garage sales in the summer and find tons of kids clothes. At christmas and birthdays I make sure everyone knows the kids sizes and what they need. I also make sure everyone knows that they already have a whole basement full of toys. I also let friends and coworkers know that I love hand-me-downs. So many people are anxious to get rid of the totes of clothes taking up room in their basement, garage, or closets. Most are thrilled at the chance to give them to someone who actually wants them.
              Filed: 10/26/2006
              Discharged: 03/05/2007
              Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

Yeah.
                Sometimes buying the cheapest, is not the most cost effective way to go.
                Sure, the initial costs are less, but if something a little more expensive will last twice as long, then it would be a better deal in the long run.

T-shirts are a prime example.
                The really cheap ones usually end up all stretched out and worthless after a few washings. Not a good value.
                Especially since a reasonably priced one can last a couple years easily.
                7/01/10 - filed!
                11/20/10 - discharged and closed

Comment

Old navy is awesome when they are having sales. Often if you know their growth patterns well enough to can buy end of season sales for next year and scoop up huge deals. Their clearance racks are awesome. I never buy anything there full price, but you can find stuff there for less than second hand prices. And, I think it holds up fairly well.

I also have great luck with Kohls. And again, while they are having a sale it's a fantastic deal. Other than that I don't know what else you can do.

Comment

Khol's is always having good sales.

Children's Place also puts out great sales with coupon codes, just google. I pay the same for CP as I would going to wal mart and CP is much better quality.
                    Filed 09/05
                    Discarged 1/2/06
                    Closed 1/13/06

Comment

I got a great deal on some things at Children's Place for next winter, I spent $15 and I got a fleece jacket, fleece pants and 2 long sleeved shirts and a turtleneck. They had 50% off their clearance and I had a 20% off coupon I got offline.

Comment

For kids in your age group it might be to your advantage to shop at sears and enroll in their kids advantage program I believe JC penney's has something similar any way the way it works is if your wears it out before they outgrow it they will replace for free. Hence great way to get clothes for younger two without spending any money. I see my neighbor do this her 10 yr old son always tears a hole in knees or breaks a belt loop she takes it back and gets the same size that her 8 yr old will be wearing the next school year. So really she only shops for one a school yr. It cost her $5 to be a member

Comment

Here a some places Steve and Berries clothing store at one time every thing in the store was like $ 7.99 but they change since they have gotten bigger, but still all brand new clothes, made in other countries,

and Rugged Warehouse they have brand new clothes as well and some brand names clothes at 50 % less, just check ther clothes, might have small hole, or no zipper on jeans it but most of the stuff is great shape,,,

Comment

I am new to the forum too I shop for my daughters clothes at Gymboree, I use there coupons & take advantage of there sales. Most of the stuff i buy her averages at 5.00 each then when she out grows them I ebay it for 2x the amount I paid.
                            Filing BK 2/12/2008

Comment

making sure everything is color coordinated also allows you to buy less clothes. Being able to mix and match will spread the clothes out better. Just thought I'd add that.
                              Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X