No announcement yet.

donating plasma for extra money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear you get paid usually $20 for your first time, an $30 for your second. so you could earn up to $200 a month, but also I hear some places also you give you a return bonus for being a frequent doner. don't quote me on that, because I think it might just be a few places that do it.
    Filed CH 13 07/18/08
    341 Meeting 09/03/08
    Confirmed 10/14/08
    Stats: $322 payment, 22/39 Completed

Comment

The needle is huge. They actually turn people away because their veins are too small, and often, they turn people away after they have already been waiting for several hours. In my experience, it seems like about half of the people who show up are rejected for one reason or another.

It's not the most pleasant process. It feels as though you are in the Matrix (where all the bodies are hooked up). At the place I went, it never took as little as an hour, even with an appointment. Usually, it took 2 to 3 hours.

As for doing that or working at Taco Bell, I think I'd rather "donate." But, beware, if you earn more than $600 from one place, you will get a 1099 in the mail at the beginning of the year. A lot of people assume that it's tax free income, but it's not, and if you earn more than $400, you can get hit with self employment tax too. Ofcourse, if you don't get a 1099, then it's all on your good word to claim it as income.

Also, at the place I went, you would earn a $15 credit for each referral. So, when you are waiting in line in the morning before the place opens (and the line starts forming an hour early for walk ins), talk to the folks around you in line, and if they are new, give them your name and ask that they put you down as a referral.

Every place has their own compensation plan, so you can just call and ask what it is. If you go, make sure you have a photo ID and proof of residency, such as a utility bill. I'm pretty sure they do this to help in enforcing the FDA requirements that restrict how often you can donate.

Comment

Thanks, Joe. This is a last resort, for sure.
        How about donating sperm? That seems a bit more pleasant ;)
        Filed Chapter 7 4/29/08
        341 Survived 5/27/08
        Discharged 8/19/08
        Case Closed 9/08/08

Comment

Originally posted by rickisbroke View Post
          How about donating sperm? That seems a bit more pleasant ;)
          Priceless reply!
          Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
          341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
          Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

My husband did this for money a couple of times before I met him. He showed me his scars (one on each arm) from the massive needle they use. I quickly decided I wouldn't be doing that!
            Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me
            Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

i donate plasma twice a week, where i go you can only do it twice in 7 days, 50 bucks a week, it depends on your weight too, the less you weigh the less you get. i havent had any adverse effects. as long as you can deal with the needles. the thing i hate the most is getting stuck in the same hole multiple times, ouch. but hey it equals out to be about 10 bucks an hour, not a bad part time job.

Comment

I donated plasma a couple of months ago. I got $35 for it but I haven't done it since and I'm not sure if I would. I'm not very good with needles generally but this seemed to be a bit worse than the regular needles I'm used to.
                After the process I felt a little light headed and dizzy for a while.
                It may have just been that I had a one off bad experience. A couple of other people who were there when I was seemed to be doing fine with it.
                Anyway, to get some more info and find donation centers you can go to this plasma donation information article

Comment

Tried donating

Originally posted by bk4sky View Post
                  has anyone around here done anything like this? i just thought of this! where i live they have plasma centers where they pay you to donate, i think you have to go like 2-3 times a week, but you make an extra 200 a month. i was thinking about giving it a try.
                  I donated twice a week for about 6 months. It wasn't to bad, but like others have said, you really don't make all that much money. I stopped donating because the place I went to was taking over 2 hours to get me in and out. They were so disorganized that I could sit for 20 minutes before getting the check up then getting to the back room, then sat another 10-20 minutes to get stuck, 50 minutes donating and getting saline, then another 10-20 minutes for disconnect.

I didn't feel $50 a week was worth the time, discomfort, boredom, and drive.
                  Finally got attorney paid 2/12/09 :clapping:
                  Filed Bankruptcy 2/25/09 :yes2:
                  Had 341 hearing 3/27/09 with no problems :yahoo:
                  Discharged 6/1/09 Closed 6/15/09 :yahoo::clapping:

Comment

Do any of you know if the rules for donation are the same as they are for blood? I guess they should be. I'm on a permanent deferment for giving blood because my ex was from Nigeria. He hasn't been there since 1981, and we both tested negative for everything under the sun, but they still won't take my blood at blood banks. Anyone know about this?

Comment

Originally posted by MastiffMom View Post
                      Do any of you know if the rules for donation are the same as they are for blood? I guess they should be.
                      Here are the American Red Cross's current restrictions for blood donation - http://www.redcross.org/en/eligibility

For up-to-date information or clarifying opinions and rules about American Red Cross rules about Blood donor deferrals, you can call 1-800-448-3543.
                      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thank you, lrprn. That answered my question

Comment

Originally posted by MastiffMom View Post
                          Do any of you know if the rules for donation are the same as they are for blood? I guess they should be. I'm on a permanent deferment for giving blood because my ex was from Nigeria. He hasn't been there since 1981, and we both tested negative for everything under the sun, but they still won't take my blood at blood banks. Anyone know about this?
                          They are really stict about plasma. If you have the slightest wound or infection, they will reject you. The time detail "since 1981" might be influential. You could make an appointment to see. I was rejected, but they were really nice and gave me 15$ for my time. Not bad. Bring a book, it takes a long time.

Comment

I've donated plasma twice in my life when I was around 17 or 18. I think I might have received around $50 for the two times in total. Where I am now there are so many crackheads that the old plasma center they had here was shut down years ago. Probably because everything they were getting was contaminated. I would gladly do it though.
                            Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

I did this back in college. A friend of mine told me about it, and of course she got some extra $$ for referring me. So I started doing twice a week, and brought along my cousin and her friend and got extra $$ for them. I did it for about 4 months or so. No, it's not "pleasant" but....desperate times call for desperate measures?!

Then sometime last year we were in a pinch and I decided to go, I went twice, made $75 b/c they were having a special. That really helped us out with our electricity bill. Haven't been back since b/c I am pregnant.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X