top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save Money on Groceries with the $1 per pound rule.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IamOld, ALDI usually does carry a limited selection of fresh fruit and veggies, and their prices are almost always much lower than the big chains. I used to shop their often when we lived where they had stores. I used to get a lot of canned goods there as well, because the prices were so good. You bag your own groceries, so take bags in with you. They do have bags, but you have to purchase them yourself. The store I shopped at didn't take checks, but you can use your debit card and good ol' American cash
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Thanks!!! Sounds good - I figured I can't get everything, but there are several good supermarkets here, BUT I've been (BK aside) trying to get the grocery bill down to no avail...so if I can even get 50% of what we need there at a lower price, that'd be great!!!

SO they take debit cards right?

Also...forgive the minutia - but do they have paper towels, etc?

Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
      IamOld, ALDI usually does carry a limited selection of fresh fruit and veggies, and their prices are almost always much lower than the big chains. I used to shop their often when we lived where they had stores. I used to get a lot of canned goods there as well, because the prices were so good. You bag your own groceries, so take bags in with you. They do have bags, but you have to purchase them yourself. The store I shopped at didn't take checks, but you can use your debit card and good ol' American cash

Comment

Yep, they accept debit cards, and they do carry paper goods and household cleaners, etc. They have a very limited frozen section, dairy, fresh meat, canned goods, baking supplies, etc. They also usually have a couple of really good seasonal deals (think outdoor items, kid's toys, etc) at any given time.

They have a website that you can check out their weekly ads on etc.
        Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
          Yep, they accept debit cards, and they do carry paper goods and household cleaners, etc. They have a very limited frozen section, dairy, fresh meat, canned goods, baking supplies, etc. They also usually have a couple of really good seasonal deals (think outdoor items, kid's toys, etc) at any given time.

They have a website that you can check out their weekly ads on etc.
          THANKS!!!!! I was just looking through their ads - I have high hopes for them!!!

Have a good night and weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by IHateToBeEmo View Post
            Interesting exercise to buy food for $1/pound or less!

While I'm not willing to do that, I have recently begun shopping at ALDI and no longer buying brand name products at better-known grocery stores.

I used to be a snob about buying brand-name products, but at today's prices I'm now going for most bang for the buck.

I did see them stocking fresh chicken from boxes labeled TYSON, while the individual packages themselves just had the ALDI label.

If you've got an ALDI in your neighborhood check it out. I've found the prices to be unbeatable.

Some things take getting used to, like depositing a quarter to get a grocery cart and getting the quarter back when you return it, bringing your own bags or paying separately for them when you check out, and having to pay by cash or debit card, no credit cards.

As grocery prices keep rising, more people are going to have to look for alternatives to traditional grocery stores and their name-brand products.
            we just got an ALDI down the road and i must admit i was really scared about buying brands and such large qualities of food we might not care for.

actually, i think it really depends on where one is located, because to use it seems in general, for this area, abertson's is generally the best for staples, walmart for cleaning products ...bj's for gas and so on and so forth.

intersting i think as i know while in calif. food is so much higher than here in florida, yet in new jersey it is by far cheaper!!
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Ok, I still think this is a dumb rule- made up by someone who had an intriguing idea for a book -and would make more sense to talk about cost per SERVING rather than pound.
              But since we are on the topic, I want to alert y'all with a Pathmark nearby (and I understand some Waldbaum's) --they are offering TRIPLE COUPONS UP TO $1 thru tomorrow. This includes even the ones that say Do Not Double.

Regional differences also include those that are in the Land of No Doubles. That can make a huge difference in your grocery cost. NJ is crazy high in many things but at least we can eat fairly cheaply thanks to lots of competition, local farms and double coupons.

There are tons of blogs and forums on line for how to combine coupons and deals for cheap shopping trips. Worth a look if you have the time.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                Ok, I still think this is a dumb rule- made up by someone who had an intriguing idea for a book -and would make more sense to talk about cost per SERVING rather than pound.
                But since we are on the topic, I want to alert y'all with a Pathmark nearby (and I understand some Waldbaum's) --they are offering TRIPLE COUPONS UP TO $1 thru tomorrow. This includes even the ones that say Do Not Double.

Regional differences also include those that are in the Land of No Doubles. That can make a huge difference in your grocery cost. NJ is crazy high in many things but at least we can eat fairly cheaply thanks to lots of competition, local farms and double coupons.

There are tons of blogs and forums on line for how to combine coupons and deals for cheap shopping trips. Worth a look if you have the time.
                i'm with you on this one. i think so as well. it's most or more important to me to consider the cost per meal as opposed to what the cost of the food was per pound. just thinking about items like a ham for meals, soups..etc. shoot, if done correctly a 2.99 a pound ham can make many a meal!
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Ok, I know this is old, but I just saw this and I have to say, this is just plain stupid. Not to be offensive, but seriously $1 per pound being the only consideration just doesn't make sense. It totally disregards both serving count and nutritional value. You can buy soda at much less than $1 per pound but not blueberries, butter, cheese - it is just kind of nuts. You are much better off looking at the price per meal or price per serving; if you take the time to plan nutritionally rich and healthy meals that use items your local discount store has on sale then you are better off still. The price per pound, while valuable to compare like products is not a wise way to shop for many things.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X