top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BK hurts co-signer for private student loans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK hurts co-signer for private student loans?

I have three private students loans. My relative cosigned for them several years ago.

Does my BK filing hurt the cosigner in any ways?

I will/should keep pay the student loan payments but I am just wondering if my BK can be notified to the cosigner or affect...

Thanks in advance.
    Filed Chapter 7 on Nov 23, 2009
    341 Meeting on Dec 30, 2009
    Discharged on March 11, 2010
    Closed on April 12, 2010

It shouldn't. If, for some reason (lenders are stupid), the BK shows up on the co-signors credit report, he can dispute it off.

Comment

What kinds of terms will be shown on my credit report?

In case of discharged CC account would be shown as "BK"?

How about the private student loans were not discharged through ch7? Maybe "current"?

I am just wondering how my credit report will look after BK.
      Closed on April 12, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by mhman View Post
        What kinds of terms will be shown on my credit report?
        All debts discharged in the bk should show as IIB (included in bankruptcy) with a balance of zero. If any of your unsecured debts show a balance or don't say IIB, you need to dispute that.

Debts that were sold off by creditors before you filed should show as "charged off" with a balance of zero.

In case of discharged CC account would be shown as "BK"?
        See previous answer.

How about the private student loans were not discharged through ch7? Maybe "current"?
        Ironically they also may show as IIB on the credit report, but the student loans are *not* discharged in bankruptcy.

Here's a list of common credit report abbreviations to help you understand the codes when the time comes - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/bo...e&thread.id=23
        Last edited by lrprn; 08-22-2009, 08:33 PM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. I am not alone.

I will keep paying the stuendent loan payments since I know that it won't be discharged.
          What I really hope at this time is that this BK filing doesn't affect my cosigner's credit.

My cosigner would be very frustrated if he see all cosigned student loan accounts are shown as "IIB" in HIS credit report.
          Yes, since the student loans were cosigned, all student loans have been shown in my cosigner's credit report at the same time.

I don't know what is the best thing not to hurt my cosigner's credit. What I can do when filing ch7 is just to keep paying the student loans.

I hope I understood correctly on private student loans during ch7 process.
          Closed on April 12, 2010

Comment

I wouldn't see how your filing bk would have any effect on your co-signers credit report. First, I would doubt that the student loans would even show up as IIB on your credit report because it is highly unlikely that you would be allowed to discharge them (even private student loans). Second, if you are allowed to discharge them, it would only be discharging YOUR liability to the debt NOT your co-signers. Provided that they actually make the monthly payment at that point, nothing derogatory should appear on their report. They are still liable for the student loan debt even though you filed bk, that is the whole point of a co-signer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X