Really off the hook for co-signed loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really off the hook for co-signed loan?

Hi... hoping someone else can tell me for sure if I am really in the clear now.

I cosigned a $10,000 "education loan" for my son in 1998 with Wells Fargo Education Financial Services. After ten years he essentially refused to pay it any longer since he decided he did not like his chosen field, so I paid it for the last two years until for unrelated reasons I needed to file for Chapter 7.

I was discharged in Sept 2010, and I kept the loan current until December, but on a whim I called Wells Fargo to ask them about the status. They informed me that I was no longer on the account due to the Chapter 7 (they did not even want to discuss it with me without my son's permission), and that I am no longer responsible for the loan. I asked them to send me something in writing and they did.

The letter I received states that I am "no longer a liable party to the loan reference by account number XXXXX."

I know it seems like a stupid question, but does this really mean that I am no longer responsible for the loan - that it will not come back to haunt me months (or years) from now?

Thank you so much for any responses.

I'd hang onto that letter and keep it in a safe place for future reference, but yes, looks like you're off the hook. Must be a huge relief for you!
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X