341 Meeting Today- Chapter 7, Pro Se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 Meeting Today- Chapter 7, Pro Se

Had my 341 meeting today and like nearly everyone else, I was nervous. I filed pro-se and had just been released from the hospital the morning before, so I missed some time to get reacquainted with all my paperwork. I arrived early and since I was scheduled with the first group of the day, the door was locked. I was the only debtor who dressed like I was going to court, which surprised me. Many of the others were wearing shorts, t-shirts with logos, and flip flops I was also surprised I could bring my cell phone in (turned off, off course). I had read in some set of instructions that this was not allowed but there was a large metal detector near the entrance and no one manning it. It appeared the trustee was there alone. Everything was way more casual than I had imagined but I know my area is more relaxed than most. As the second group starting coming in, I noticed someone even thought it was a good idea to bring their three kids (tweens).

I was the only one in my group who filed pro se and everyone else had already completed the questionnaire given before the proceedings through their attorneys. I was glad I had everything with me because I had to refer to various pieces to answer some of them (What kind/year tractor do I have? How much was my tax return?).
    In the letter the trustee sent ahead of the meeting, she asked that I bring copies of the signed schedules, which I did, along with everything else I has sent her or was related to how I came up with a number. The first two meetings went very quick, although the attorney for the first person said, "You're very thorough" to the trustee. She asked probably 15-20 questions, nothing different from those on the lists I've seen. The woman before me got asked a lot of questions about money she received from the sale of a business and her deceased parent's home. She was asked to submit a list of things in the upcoming weeks and it seemed like her attorney should have known this and already had them in her file (deeds, paper trail regarding a large sum of money). The trustee was very nice and patient with everyone.
    The trustee had called my name before the start of the proceedings and gave me a paper to complete that stated I alone completed my paperwork. I know it has an official name and I actually filed one with my paperwork already but it was nothing more than a checkbox and signature. Just kind of startling to hear her call me out in front of everyone when I knew I wasn't first (there was a list on the door).

When it was my turn, she asked about the signatures on the schedules and I confirmed they were mine. She told me of every 100 pro-se filers, only one usually brings these with them as she directed in her letter. She asked me maybe 10-15 questions and that was that. I rent from my parents so when she asked about payments to relatives, I told her about this. She said OK and kept going. At the end, she complimented me on my "fine job" with the paperwork and sent me on my way. So much build-up for a few easy questions, but I kept falling back on knowing I had completed everything with the utmost honestly and had nothing to hide. I was prepared to explain anything but didn't need to, which was great.

Thank you to all who answered my questions and those who posted on other topics. This forum really helped me through this sometimes scary, daunting, and mysterious process so far.

And now I wait.....

We are in the same boat!! Just had mine, also pro se. The meeting went so much more smoothly than I could have imagined. I was also the first person to be called from my group, so I felt like the meeting lasted literally 3 minutes!

Glad to hear your meeting went smoothly Hopefully we will both hear some positive results in a couple months!!!

Comment

YES!!!! I am also really glad I made the decision to do it pro-se. I didn't have anything complicated (no assets, no businesses, no real estate, etc) so for me, I would have kicking myself had I paid the $1500 to an attorney. I certainly understand why people do since I did take an entire week off work to devote to this, but I am pretty darned pleased with myself right this minute

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X