341 complete - Eastern District of Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 complete - Eastern District of Michigan

My 341 went very smoothly, especially considering I was the only person who filed pro se. I ended up sitting through about 20 other cases since I arrived a bit early and the trustee was running late as he had 3 cases requiring translators before me which took a lot of time.

As nervous as I was, I was somewhat prepared because of this forum. I made one small mistake on my Schedule C which he explained and asked me to amend. Other than that he only asked me questions I was prepared for based on others' posted experiences.

There was a little comic relief...one very large attorney accompanied a debtor and left quite an odor in the room after vacating. Another attorney came into the room and actually sprayed air freshener all over the place. People were trying not to laugh but it was funny.

The only thing that surprised me is that my trustee asked almost everyone what caused their financial difficulties. He seemed genuinely interested in the answer and probed a bit when people gave sketchy information. He was not patient with anyone who seemed to give contradictory information. In one case he pulled an attorney aside and yelled at him about a client not appearing for the second time and told him his patience was running out. All in all, I was surprised that my trustee actually seemed to care about the debtors. I guess I didn't expect that. One thing is certain, the economy in Michigan is horrible but business is good for BK attornies!

Thanks for the information everyone!
    A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

congrats!! job well done!! you are now officially in the 60 day club!!

and too funny about the spray....LOL!!!!!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

congrats......
      Filled 5-2010
      7-2010 341 Meeting (Chapter 7 No Asset)
      8-2010 Discharged/Case closed!

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
        congrats!! job well done!! you are now officially in the 60 day club!!

and too funny about the spray....LOL!!!!!
        Oh my gosh, I couldn't believe it when she came in with that can of Glade. The trustee was smiling but trying not to smile, and I get the feeling most of the attornies all knew each other. It really was a strong case of BO the guy had... actually helped break the tension!

Comment

well, i must admit to you that this is, (and i'm no youngster)...it is the very first time i heard of BO breaking the ice!.....and relieving tension!! that is WAY too funny!! i probably would have had a laughing attact..which would have been so inappropriate!
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I felt really bad for the debtor… not only did his attorney have BO, he seemed a little clueless. The debtor reported having child support payments which the trustee pointed out weren’t in the petition. The attorney actually asked the guy ‘did you tell me about that?” and the debtor replied “yes” and looked at him like he was nuts.

One thing I’ve learned so far from all this: I was able to file pro se thanks to research and the fact that I have a very simple case… no assets, I rent and have never owned a home, etc. Very cut and dried. But after sitting in that room for 2 hours, I would encourage anyone who has even the slightest complication in their case: use an attorney. And use a reputable, competent attorney. It was painfully obvious who the mediocre or bad attorneys are, and who the good ones were. I’m sure the fees were steep, but I firmly believe it is worth every dime! If I had the funds it would be worth it even for the peace of mind.

Comment

Awesome post and since I will be filing in November in this same district, this info is very helpful
              Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by discombob1 View Post
                I felt really bad for the debtor… not only did his attorney have BO, he seemed a little clueless. The debtor reported having child support payments which the trustee pointed out weren’t in the petition. The attorney actually asked the guy ‘did you tell me about that?” and the debtor replied “yes” and looked at him like he was nuts.

One thing I’ve learned so far from all this: I was able to file pro se thanks to research and the fact that I have a very simple case… no assets, I rent and have never owned a home, etc. Very cut and dried. But after sitting in that room for 2 hours, I would encourage anyone who has even the slightest complication in their case: use an attorney. And use a reputable, competent attorney. It was painfully obvious who the mediocre or bad attorneys are, and who the good ones were. I’m sure the fees were steep, but I firmly believe it is worth every dime! If I had the funds it would be worth it even for the peace of mind.
                excellent advise....and may i add...make certain they smell ok....so they themselves do not leave any lasting negative "thoughts" at your 341....i think there is a moral to this story! LOL...smell carefully before you retain!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X