Had 341 Today, Downtown LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
    i hear you on that one. same hear, however we are luckier than most and had a small pension and good thing i married someone ancient....LOL!! who was able to start collection early ss....we moved to a state that those two incomes should carry us, if we can't find jobs...which it has been well over 2 years for me...now i'm really thinking about starting my own business which could be risky.

i think between the two of us over 1k applications have gone out...but we were mid and upper management people and no one...absolutely NO One wants us at our age and with what we were making. NOT that we wouldn't settle for less money, they see our resumes and that's kind of it for us...
    When I was at the FL One Stop (Workforce Development office or whatever they want to call it), the workshop instructor said that they had an applicant for a position and the employer mentioned to her, "She's too old." She then commenced to explain to him that this lady has worked on Wall Street for 20 years. Upshot, he did interview her and hired her.

I recall you're saying something in another thread, probably was the General Bankruptcy thread about unemployment and I think you mentioned that they wouldn't help you in FL...have you gone to the One Stop center and signed up there? I know the people in the Resume Workshops (along with the other counselors) have direct networking with some employers because they said many of the employers visit the center.

Comment

Originally posted by platter View Post
      When I was at the FL One Stop (Workforce Development office or whatever they want to call it), the workshop instructor said that they had an applicant for a position and the employer mentioned to her, "She's too old." She then commenced to explain to him that this lady has worked on Wall Street for 20 years. Upshot, he did interview her and hired her.

I recall you're saying something in another thread, probably was the General Bankruptcy thread about unemployment and I think you mentioned that they wouldn't help you in FL...have you gone to the One Stop center and signed up there? I know the people in the Resume Workshops (along with the other counselors) have direct networking with some employers because they said many of the employers visit the center.
      thanks so much platter...FIRST for that up lifting story of the old lady...LOL getting hired....and secondly for the One Stop info....where is it located??? or are they all over the state. i know we went to the closest UI office for help...and they said NOPE...we though we could sign up for some help with placement etc...i mean you could do that in the state we came from even if you were collecting UI from another state...there were all types of workshops etc all set up for anyone unemployed...this lady at the unemployment center made it clear we were not welcome to partisipate...
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

(?)What was the name of the UI office that you visited?

Google One-Stop Career Center for your city. Most areas have at least two in their town or city. One-Stop Career Center, Agency for Workforce Development, Employ Florida, etc., so many names that relate to the same service, it seems. The link below will show the counties in FL that one can click on.

Are you now a resident of the state in which you reside? Or, how long have you been a resident? I've no idea if you have to be a resident for at least six months or something of the sort. Surely just a resident, IMO, but I don't know the requirements.

I think a person only has to be unemployed to be able to sign up as long as they're a resident and go to the office in their city. I don't know if we can go to another one in another city in the county though. That's strange that you were told they can't help you. I would certainly call again or go there in person and make an appt for an orientation on signing up for whatever services they offer. Ask to meet with a counselor.

They offer a workshop (basic) on some computer programs such as Word, etc. and offer them on certain days, etc., offer typing tests, a one or two week Resume Building Workshop (one day is offered for those that only need to tweek theirs) and maybe some other services.

I saw a couple of people land interviews because the instructor has a direct contact with some of the employers. (Therefore, it would be better to take the two-week workshop to build a good rapor with the instructor. And, you also can attend that workshop twice or however many times you wish as long as your counselor schedules you for that. Now, I'm not sure that a counselor has to schedule you. One might be able to sign up for it on their own. The counselor comes into play for those that are *signed up* through the system through Employ Florida and have their resume on there or want to get started and get it on there. It has to be input a certain way and I didn't realize that when I began to do this and have wasted a lot of time when I had to wait on an appt with a counselor just to tell me I must input all my info according to the sites requirements so I had to learn how to navigate the system and am just beginning to do this accordingly.

The reason I have a counselor is under their program to apply for school to obtain more skills that I need to get a job within my occupational requirements. One has to sign up in their system accordingly (proverbial pain in the rear) and the counselor can guide one through the computer requirements first. You're supposed to show your past 16 job searches and she really did like the catch-up I had done by submitting 16 that were out-of-state made by phone. Then you have to print out a market analysis from their site regarding whether your occupation is in demand or not and submit that, print out two show two job searches from their system where it shows your occupation requires more skills than you have, submit that to them, ... then show two job searches per week preferably from jobs listed on their system.....and the counselor is the one that has to go to bat for you to prove that you need more skills.

You also can obtain a letter from a professional within the field that you're having difficulty finding a job and they can write it saying that with the economy like it is you will need more skills, etc. That helps to prove it for when they submit your case for funding. I'm having major difficulty, I think, because they know that I'm a traveler and if I gain skills through one of the local schools, colleges, etc., then I might travel out again and she *can't track me for a year* for whatever reason that is. I'm behind getting my resume properly entered on the system because of being in the Resume Workshop for a week. (For me, it's been nothing but frustrating when I had to wait and find out that I wasnt' entering it like they wanted, very frustrating and a waste of time.)

Employ Florida - Complete set of employment tools for job seekers in Florida. Job seekers and employers access jobs, résumés, education, training, labor market information.

In the Resume Workshop the instructor gave a student a heads up on not going into a Billing and Coding course because it's not in demand in the area. The student was supposed to begin the class within a few days and was suddenly changing her mind. (I don't know if the Center, through the WIA Program, was paying for that or she was paying for it on her own.) But she began to rethink it though. But in Virginia I have a friend that is doing it online and it's in demand in her area. Just don't tell any employment office that you're doing a class (on your on) when drawing unemployment benefits because she did that in honesty and then she got her check stopped and has to call an explain to them that it's an online class and that she's *available* for work. The only time you won't run into an issue with school *and* drawing benefits is when the WIA enrolls you.

I think, for several reasons, that I probably had the best instructor for a Resume Workshop because she's writing a book with a technique that she thinks can be used across the board and not be outdated the minute that it's published. She's in college to be a teacher and I think that she will continue to use the education she has to do business on the side regarding Career Counseling once she leaves her employ from the center so there's no conflict of interest. She was good, very good but I'm sure all the Workshops follow the same regiment though.

They instruct you on how to make the calls, etc. in a different way and have the resume updated to current trends. It was valuable, I must say.

They do have contact with employers. There's some advantage there for them to influence them to get an inteview for a customer. They like for you to dress up when you come to their office just as if you were going to go to a job interview. She said that oftentimes there's employers in their center and they've made comments such as, "Did you see how they're dressed? I wouldn't hire him/her." I also think the Instructor and Counselors themselves want to see what is the best you can dress before they themselves go to bat for you. That's understandable though it wore me out having to put on a complete ensemble. They want you to dress 1 step above what the normal attire is for the job you're seeking.

I don't know why the employer said, "She's too old." Did he see employment history dates and make the comment without looking at her actual details or what? I don't know. The instructor didn't say but only said that she talked with him and got the lady an interview and she was hired. So, essense, these Resume Workshop instructors have a little influence to help the customer IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by platter View Post
          (?)What was the name of the UI office that you visited?

Google One-Stop Career Center for your city. Most areas have at least two in their town or city. One-Stop Career Center, Agency for Workforce Development, Employ Florida, etc., so many names that relate to the same service, it seems. The link below will show the counties in FL that one can click on.

Are you now a resident of the state in which you reside? Or, how long have you been a resident? I've no idea if you have to be a resident for at least six months or something of the sort. Surely just a resident, IMO, but I don't know the requirements.

I think a person only has to be unemployed to be able to sign up as long as they're a resident and go to the office in their city. I don't know if we can go to another one in another city in the county though. That's strange that you were told they can't help you. I would certainly call again or go there in person and make an appt for an orientation on signing up for whatever services they offer. Ask to meet with a counselor.

They offer a workshop (basic) on some computer programs such as Word, etc. and offer them on certain days, etc., offer typing tests, a one or two week Resume Building Workshop (one day is offered for those that only need to tweek theirs) and maybe some other services.

I saw a couple of people land interviews because the instructor has a direct contact with some of the employers. (Therefore, it would be better to take the two-week workshop to build a good rapor with the instructor. And, you also can attend that workshop twice or however many times you wish as long as your counselor schedules you for that. Now, I'm not sure that a counselor has to schedule you. One might be able to sign up for it on their own. The counselor comes into play for those that are *signed up* through the system through Employ Florida and have their resume on there or want to get started and get it on there. It has to be input a certain way and I didn't realize that when I began to do this and have wasted a lot of time when I had to wait on an appt with a counselor just to tell me I must input all my info according to the sites requirements so I had to learn how to navigate the system and am just beginning to do this accordingly.

The reason I have a counselor is under their program to apply for school to obtain more skills that I need to get a job within my occupational requirements. One has to sign up in their system accordingly (proverbial pain in the rear) and the counselor can guide one through the computer requirements first. You're supposed to show your past 16 job searches and she really did like the catch-up I had done by submitting 16 that were out-of-state made by phone. Then you have to print out a market analysis from their site regarding whether your occupation is in demand or not and submit that, print out two show two job searches from their system where it shows your occupation requires more skills than you have, submit that to them, ... then show two job searches per week preferably from jobs listed on their system.....and the counselor is the one that has to go to bat for you to prove that you need more skills.

You also can obtain a letter from a professional within the field that you're having difficulty finding a job and they can write it saying that with the economy like it is you will need more skills, etc. That helps to prove it for when they submit your case for funding. I'm having major difficulty, I think, because they know that I'm a traveler and if I gain skills through one of the local schools, colleges, etc., then I might travel out again and she *can't track me for a year* for whatever reason that is. I'm behind getting my resume properly entered on the system because of being in the Resume Workshop for a week. (For me, it's been nothing but frustrating when I had to wait and find out that I wasnt' entering it like they wanted, very frustrating and a waste of time.)

Employ Florida - Complete set of employment tools for job seekers in Florida. Job seekers and employers access jobs, résumés, education, training, labor market information.

In the Resume Workshop the instructor gave a student a heads up on not going into a Billing and Coding course because it's not in demand in the area. The student was supposed to begin the class within a few days and was suddenly changing her mind. (I don't know if the Center, through the WIA Program, was paying for that or she was paying for it on her own.) But she began to rethink it though. But in Virginia I have a friend that is doing it online and it's in demand in her area. Just don't tell any employment office that you're doing a class (on your on) when drawing unemployment benefits because she did that in honesty and then she got her check stopped and has to call an explain to them that it's an online class and that she's *available* for work. The only time you won't run into an issue with school *and* drawing benefits is when the WIA enrolls you.

I think, for several reasons, that I probably had the best instructor for a Resume Workshop because she's writing a book with a technique that she thinks can be used across the board and not be outdated the minute that it's published. She's in college to be a teacher and I think that she will continue to use the education she has to do business on the side regarding Career Counseling once she leaves her employ from the center so there's no conflict of interest. She was good, very good but I'm sure all the Workshops follow the same regiment though.

They instruct you on how to make the calls, etc. in a different way and have the resume updated to current trends. It was valuable, I must say.

They do have contact with employers. There's some advantage there for them to influence them to get an inteview for a customer. They like for you to dress up when you come to their office just as if you were going to go to a job interview. She said that oftentimes there's employers in their center and they've made comments such as, "Did you see how they're dressed? I wouldn't hire him/her." I also think the Instructor and Counselors themselves want to see what is the best you can dress before they themselves go to bat for you. That's understandable though it wore me out having to put on a complete ensemble. They want you to dress 1 step above what the normal attire is for the job you're seeking.

I don't know why the employer said, "She's too old." Did he see employment history dates and make the comment without looking at her actual details or what? I don't know. The instructor didn't say but only said that she talked with him and got the lady an interview and she was hired. So, essense, these Resume Workshop instructors have a little influence to help the customer IMO.
          wow...platter...thank you SO much for all the information....i would perfer not saying which town the office was located...but it was our county and the only Unemployment office....but i don't like to disclose exactly where we r.... especially after seeing all these privacy issues surfacing all of a sudden..

i'm going to look into the centers to find out which is located closes to us.

i so appreciate all the information....we have been leaning on the possibilty of our own business at this point. we think...we are going to see what happens with a few of the resumes we still have out there and have not been rejected.

thanks again platter!!!!!
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Had my 341 in downtown LA this past week, my attorney told me 4-5 months now with the backlog. Going to be a looooooooong half year!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by winterheart View Post
              Had my 341 in downtown LA this past week, my attorney told me 4-5 months now with the backlog. Going to be a looooooooong half year!!!!
              Wow, I'm in the same district, but in Riverside County. I sure hope it doesn't take that long for me. Checked Pacer today and it says awaiting discharge 63 days. I so want this to be over with. Can't wait to hear how long your discharge actually takes. Good luck!
              Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X