Downright pathetic procrastination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downright pathetic procrastination

So, here I am looking at all the debt and a little bitty stream of income. No matter how creative the accounting gets, there's still just no way to make 'em match. I know it won't work and yet I still keep kicking it around... and it's about as productive as trying to take off your underpants over your head instead of sliding them down and just gettin' nekkid.

I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do and it involves a big number 7. But it's the gettin' nekkid part that seems to be holding me back. The glaring light on every lump, bump, scar and pimple.

I know the 341 meeting is supposedly a breeze but unfortunately this short redhead is prone to really bad panic attacks. In public. In big buildings with lots of people. The fancy name is agoraphobia. Anyway, I'm so sure the 341 venue will inspire a panic attack that I haven't even made an appointment to talk to a lawyer yet. I figure "why bother - it's just going to go down in flames at the 341 anyway." It's a pretty pathetic reason for procrastinating. I do have meds that can help with the panic attacks but they leave me unfit to do anything except drool on myself (let alone answer questions under oath).

So... my question(s) to the forum... does anyone know if trustees ever consider accommodation for nutsness like this? I dunno, maybe scheduling a hearing at the beginning or end of the day in order to avoid crowds? Something else? Is it even something my lawyer could ask about (when I do finally get one, that is)? Anyone ever tried it?
    OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

It wouldn't hurt to ask an attorney. It's a scary thing for everyone, but adding agoraphobia to the mix, wow. I really feel for you.
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

I just had mine on Friday and the way they scheduled there were only 3 or 4 people in the room at a time. When I arrived, there were 3 people waiting. They went ahead of me and when I went up, there were only 2 people waiting behind me. Only myself, my lawyer, the trustee and her assistant at the table. took a total of about 5 minutes and I was gone.
      Filed Ch 13 10/7/10
      341 11/5/10
      Confirmation 12/15/10

Comment

Every district is a little different, so you may luck out with one that has a small meeting room - your lawyer will probably know exactly what the room will be like.

As for asking for an early/late meeting - it doesn't hurt to ask. If you actually have a provable diagnosis of agoraphobia, you may be able to ask for accommodations under ADA laws. Trustees aren't your friend, but that doesn't mean they are evil and uncaring. I'm sure if you ask, something can be worked out.

Comment

I feel your pain. I to suffer pretty bad panic attacks and to make things worst my wife does as well. So if you can imagine the 2 of us at our 341?! Has not happened yet as we have not filed. We did however with thanks to the good people on this site, go to a 341(opened to the public) about 2 months ago to sit in and get a better idea. Not as bad as I thought it would be but then again I was sitting in the back all the while knowing I did not have to go thru anything on that particular day.
          I think for us we soon discovered in the preperation of the bk was alone daunting and stressful and that Panic Attacks have become less of a concern right now, however I expect as we get closer it will creep up once again to the front of our minds.
          We probably will be forced to use the old "pills" to get us through and hope the trustee doesn't think were drunk or high! I wish you luck and know exactly what your going through. We have always managed both to get around the situation by simply avoiding putting ourself's in a situation where we would have one ie;my wife would drop college classes if she knew there was any public speaking. In this case (bankruptcy) we are all forced to face our demons or fears.
          To answer your question about scheduling a particular time to do your 341, I know that in our district (Az) I was told that people who have atty represented go 1st in line and are picked alphabetically on the attys name then Pro se go last. Check with any attorney to find out if they will make any exceptions and let us know as maybe we can try that here as well. Good Luck!

Comment

I agree about asking for accommodations based on your ADA laws. Let your attorney know of your disability and see what they can do for you.

Facing our fears is not the issue here. A phobia is an irrational fear. Telling someone to face their irrational fear does nothing. No one can understand what it's like to live with a phobia unless you have one. Asking someone with Agoraphobia to just face it is like asking a paraplegic to just walk. This isn't just the normal jitters people.

If your Psychiatrist has you diagnosed with Agoraphobia, then you should qualify for an accommodation.
            I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
            Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Xanax does the trick.
              Filed Aug 25 2010 - 341 Oct. 13 2010 Discharged!!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X