what is proper attire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is proper attire?

Having our 341 tomorrow and of all thingfs to worry about, what is the proper attire for this? Is jeans/ dress shirt for hubby okay & can I wear nice knee length shorts with blouse & dress sandals? I cannot worry myself sick about what may & not may happen but I don't want to amke it worse by wearing something inappropriate either.

We have our 341 in July, so I would like to know this too. I'm sure that you don't necessarily won't to go in wearing huge diamonds and have your husband wearing a Rolex though.
    5/9/11 - Filed CH7 - No Asset
    7/1/11 - 341 Meeting
    9/1/11 - Discharged; 9/22/11 Case Closed

Comment

While I have read of people wearing jeans and shorts and being okay, I would recommend what is called 'business casual'. This usually consists of nice khaki pants for both sexes, a nice conservative blouse for the ladies, and a polo type pull-over shirt for the men. Ladies can wear those too. Wear sensible shoes. Leave the flip-flops, thongs, and stiletto heel shoes at home. Also if you are inclined to dress up with gaudy/bulky costume jewelry, leave that at home. You want to appear as conservative, and respectful of the court as you can. This IS a legal proceeding.

Also as I have said elsewhere: "if you wouldn't wear it to church, don't wear it here."

There are also occasions where one has to go directly from the work place to the 341; that is okay.

Good luck to you both.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
        While I have read of people wearing jeans and shorts and being okay, I would recommend what is called 'business casual'. This usually consists of nice khaki pants for both sexes, a nice conservative blouse for the ladies, and a polo type pull-over shirt for the men. Ladies can wear those too. Wear sensible shoes. Leave the flip-flops, thongs, and stiletto heel shoes at home. Also if you are inclined to dress up with gaudy/bulky costume jewelry, leave that at home. You want to appear as conservative, and respectful of the court as you can. This IS a legal proceeding.

Also as I have said elsewhere: "if you wouldn't wear it to church, don't wear it here."

There are also occasions where one has to go directly from the work place to the 341; that is okay.

Good luck to you both.
        As my Mrs. stated, we have seen all sorts in ours, however, it is a respectful thing to go in business casual. Real shoes, slacks, dress shirt but no tie, and say as little as possible. Answer the questions asked with short answers and don't go into detail. Address the Trustee as if he was a Judge as he is, of YOU.

Most of them are fair and polite. They are working for your creditors not you, but leave him with respect for you. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Dress as though you were going to a business casual day at work...no ripped jeans, no flip flops.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

As for federal goverment employee. Should one wears uniform or just business casual as well?

Comment

had our meeting this morning, went very well, but its never over til its over. We have some raw land that may be sold & divided or may be abandoned and come back to us. We both dressed business casual(me black slacks/white blouse, hubby dockers/dress shirt, always address the trustee with respect( yes sir/maam) over this hurdle now on to the divorce, and hopefully a fresh start on life.

Comment

Also if you are inclined to dress up with gaudy/bulky costume jewelry, leave that at home. You want to appear as conservative, and respectful of the court as you can.
                I sure agree with that. On the advice of friends for my 341, I left all of my jewelry except for an inexpensive watch, at home. I'm also the type of person who considers her rings and bracelets part of her everday wearing apparel. Almost never leave home without them.

Was almost going to wear a small c-z engagement ring, but Boyfriend pointed out that most likely they don't have a c-z tester. LOL That it's best not to wear anything that could possibly be scrutinized.

ruttie, congratulations on making it over this hurdle!
                Last edited by lillymarlene; 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I had replaced my diamond earrings with a inexpensive pair of gold loops, but decided to take them off in the car before going in, didn't want to make them look for anything.

Comment

@lillymarlene: LOL, I had to laugh at your post. We have had many 'horror reports' about people being observed at their 341 meetings flashing their expensive jewelry, and designer bags, clothes, etc.

Me, personally, I wouldn't recognize a 'Designer Item' if it fell on me. On the other hand, I can spot rot in a wooden wall from 1000 paces.....

To each, their own, I guess.

At our 341, I left all of my jewelry at home--as modest as it is, because of 'just-in-case'.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by holycowe View Post
                      As for federal goverment employee. Should one wears uniform or just business casual as well?
                      NO! You are bankrupt. Do NOT look like an employee. Look as if you are competent, and conservative. There may or may not be a bias also. Look just "average" but clean, and not "off the wall".

@lillymarlene: LOL, I had to laugh at your post. We have had many 'horror reports' about people being observed at their 341 meetings flashing their expensive jewelry, and designer bags, clothes, etc.

Me, personally, I wouldn't recognize a 'Designer Item' if it fell on me. On the other hand, I can spot rot in a wooden wall from 1000 paces.....

To each, their own, I guess.

At our 341, I left all of my jewelry at home--as modest as it is, because of 'just-in-case'.
                      Yeah Mrs. finds a little rot in our house, and I end up replacing 25' of supporting front wall. Don't ask her to look at anything no less a boat. 'Hub
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Business casual is appropriate. Don't dress deliberately like a "bag person." Indigent does not mean Insolvent. If I remember correctly, I wore a nice sweater and nice black slacks. (it was chilly). I would have worn that to work. I wore a modest piece of jewelry and a watch. It was on the schedule. I made sure I got my hair trimmed.
                        . I distinctly remembered my attorney laughing about people wearing Rolexes to their 341. So I guess it's not an "urban legend."
                        It is the one time you don't have to knock yourself out about it, as you don't have to impress anyone.

Frankly, let's say a person once made a lot of money. They would have had some decent threads. Not the designer ones, but you get the idea. The trustee would know that and it is logical that you would wear something decent and not make a special trip to the Goodwill. If that weren't the case and you were of more modest means, they would know that, too. You never can go wrong with "corporate or business casual."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X