Scared... 341 meeting tomorrow morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared... 341 meeting tomorrow morning

I keep reading trying to see what it's going to be like and by most accounts it's nothing to worry too much about but.... Do I just answer questions or will I find out answers to the following questions? 1) can I do ch 7? Our combined income was over the median but my wife's illnss (lupus) makes it unknown if she will ever return and that's cuts it in half and makes us eligible. However, she filed for disability so will they wait to see if she is approved? 2) what about my 1/4 interest in 40 acres of not so valuable vacant land that I inherited 15 years ago? The possible sale causing my innocent siblings to sell their share against their will has already caused irrepairable damage between my sister and I. I hope to somehow save the land but I will never talk to her again. What should I wear to the meeting? I was thinking slacks and blazer. I just want this all to be over.

Miknan, your questions will probably not get answered with any finality at the 341. The purpose of the meeting is for you to answer questions. But, you may get an idea of what the trustee is thinking by the questions he asks. He may even tell you whether he plans to object to the 7 or abandon your interest in the property, but don't count on it.

I don't think anything will be delayed to find out whether your wife will get approved for disability. What matters is projected income as of the date you filed.

Were you not able to exempt the land?

Everything will go fine as long as you answer the questions truthfully. If you don't understand a question, ask for clarification. Don't feel you have to answer a question quickly. Take a moment to think if you need to. People sometimes get nervous and give the wrong answer to a question. If that happens to you, don't worry about it. Just correct yourself. The trustee is used to nervous debtors. If you don't know the answer to a question, don't be afraid to say so. If you dont' know something off the top of your head, your attorney can send the info to the trustee later.

Get a good night's sleep and make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to the meeting. Slacks and a blazer is good. You will see people dressed all kinds of ways. Business casual is a good choice. You don't want to look like you are ready for the beach, but you don't have to look like an attorney dressed for trial. Don't wear any expensive jewelry. Be sure to bring your photo ID and social security card. Also, bring a copy of your most recent income tax return just in case the trustee doesn't have one.

It will be over before you know it. Let us know how it goes.

ETA: One other tip. Keep reading what people have posted about their 341s and how most wonder why they were so worried.
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 08-21-2011, 03:06 PM.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

As Lady said, keep reading the posts, especially the 'stickies' in that forum, and you will see that for about 99% of the cases, the posters have wondered what they were worried about. There are some with unusual circumstances, that get extra questions and scrutiny. Also slacks, blazer and nice shirt is fine.

You are over worrying. W/O going into your history, did you file with an attorney, or are you pro se? If you filed with an attorney, that person should have prepared you much better than it appears that you are.

Please try to get a good night's sleep. Leave plenty early in the morning in case of traffic and parking problems. If you don't know where the venue is, leave an extra hour earlier. Usually I would advise taking a drive the weekend or day before to make sure you know where it is. But this is a little late now.

Just concentrate on getting a good night's sleep, have your DL and SS cards with you, and if necessary, have plenty of quarters.

Good luck to you!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Lady and Angelina, Thanks for the advice. I'll try and sleep well tonight but probably won't. I'm even on call for my job so hopefully I don't get called in tonight. I do have a lawyer. After a very good initial meeting, it seems all I do is talk to the paralegal since. Makes me wonder if they were really even worth it. They put around $3600 exemption money on my portion of the land. They said its likely the trustee will give me the option first of paying around $4k to keep it. I really don't but I also don't want to be the one responsible for losing land that's been in my family for 60 years.

Comment

Had our 341 today. It was interesting watching the cases before ours. I couldn't believe how unprepared some of those people even with lawyers were. The trustee got pretty irritated with some of those cases. I was nervous waiting my turn, even felt kind of light headed. But when we got up there we just told the truth and it wasn't that bad. My lawyer irritated me by not having some papers that I am sure we gave him so now I have to gather some of this stuff again. I feel he really dropped the ball on some stuff but overall it wasn't bad, actually kind of interesting and at times funny (what are some people thinking?). Didn't get any answers to questions I listed above though.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X