top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bankruptcy in washington (community property)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bankruptcy in washington (community property)

I have read the laws and talked to a couple of BK attornies, but I am still confused about the community property laws. My husband is planning to file for chapter 7, he has a little under 50k credit card debt. We have one joint card and the rest of the cards are only under his name. He has been paying min payment for about a year and has not used any of these cards ever since.

He is laid off, we have no cars, no assets, and no cash. I am a grad student, make about $2000 per month, and have lived in student housing in the past 4 years.
    If my husband files, how does that impact my credit? Will the creditors come after me if he gets discharged -- because Washington is community property? I mean for all his cards and not only the one that is joint.

One of the lawyers I talked to said because WA is community property, if my husband gets discharged, our joint debt will get wiped as well and I do not need to file for bankruptcy. Is that correct?

And if creditors come after me, what should I expect given that I barely make enough to pay for my rent and living expenses.

I would appreciate if someone could help me ... the devil is in the details.

For community property States and for those attempting to use the theoretical "community discharge", you should really speak with several attorneys in your State. We just recently had a BKForum member that is realizing more of what a community discharges does and does not do. Some of those interesting things include that the debt is always hanging over the non-filing spouses head should you ever get divorced (I know, let's not talk about divorce, but it's a fact of this issue). There may also be other issues for which I have no direct or indirect experience.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you, justbroke! Can you send me a pointer to the other member's discussion -- if it is posted somewhere?

Comment

The link is below. Please realize that this particular case was a Chapter 13 and in California and the debt mix may have been different since it included a HELOC (although it was paid in the Chapter 13).

Well after five long stressful years and just under $180,000 paid into the plan I have received my notification of discharge. A day that I thought would be such a celebration has been tainted by recently learning that filing independent of my spouse was not a good idea. I live in CA (community property
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X