Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Colleges / Transcripts / Registration and Ch 13

Hi,

I had unpaid tuition from two colleges included in my Ch 13. They were not student loans, per se. I was supposed to pay the tuition by a certain date, and did not. Both went to collection agencies. One was a state school, and there was a judgement from the state taxation department -- the other just went to a "regular" collection agency, no judgement filed at the time I filed my 13.

I am not sure if the amount owed to the private university is included in my 13 -- there's a claim filed by a collection agency I don't recognize. They were on my creditor matrix, though -- the original creditor, the school, as well as the collection agency they had retained. I realize that between the time of my last coorespondence with the school and original collection agency and the filing of my case, they could have sold it to a different collection agency.

My question is this: I have just one class to complete with this university. I'd like to take that class this spring. What is the liklihood that the university will allow me to register and graduate, given the fact I've included past due tuition in my Ch 13?

I haven't asked my attorney, nor have I contacted the school yet -- just wondered if anyone here had any insight.

Thanks!

I owed money to a state college for years. Eventually, it was discharged in my Chapter 13.

But I could not take classes at all...if I tried to register, my name and social # were flagged in their system as owing money. I had to pay the balance owed. Even worse was the fact that the state colleges were all on the same computer system so I couldn't even go to a different state school to take classes because I was flagged in the system that the state school system shared.
    Date Filed: 12/19/2004
    341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
    Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
    Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

Originally posted by cso5@ View Post
      Hi,

I had unpaid tuition from two colleges included in my Ch 13. They were not student loans, per se. I was supposed to pay the tuition by a certain date, and did not. Both went to collection agencies. One was a state school, and there was a judgement from the state taxation department -- the other just went to a "regular" collection agency, no judgement filed at the time I filed my 13.

I am not sure if the amount owed to the private university is included in my 13 -- there's a claim filed by a collection agency I don't recognize. They were on my creditor matrix, though -- the original creditor, the school, as well as the collection agency they had retained. I realize that between the time of my last coorespondence with the school and original collection agency and the filing of my case, they could have sold it to a different collection agency.

My question is this: I have just one class to complete with this university. I'd like to take that class this spring. What is the liklihood that the university will allow me to register and graduate, given the fact I've included past due tuition in my Ch 13?

I haven't asked my attorney, nor have I contacted the school yet -- just wondered if anyone here had any insight.

Thanks!
      Did you file Ch 13 before October 17, 2005 or after? The reason I'm asking is that after last October, the revised bk law now makes discharging student loans from private lenders much more difficult. Are you paying back these loans through your plan? (in other words, trustee is making the payments or you are making the payments yourself) Or are the loans confirmed discharged at the end of your Ch 13 without nothing more owed by you?
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Under new law....

Nope, I filed in April of this year.

They are listed not as student loans -- they are just listed under unsecured creditors -- you know how you can check on the claims on 13datacenter.com? I do have student loans, through Sallie Mae, and they are listed under student loans on my paperwork, and on 13datacenter.

Well the one is a claim listed through the office of the state attorney general, because of the judgement. But not listed as a student loan.

Both are to be paid back at 4.97%.

Thanks for your help -- I love this site.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X