Attorney license suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney license suspension

Im in Iowa (southern district).Filed BK 13 in 11-13.2 years into 5 year plan.My attorney fees were paid off in plan over the first 16 months.My attorney is in office with his father in western Illinois;considered a reputable firm.the practice has been open for over 35 years.Get a notice in mail today from PACER that my attorney had his Iowa license suspended 12-15 and that I need to either hire new attorney or continue pro se.....WTH...No notice from his office..Im pissed.Its after hours right now but you bet Im calling first thing in AM.Would it not have been professional on his part to notify me?Is he not legally bound to refund part of the fee if the practice is in fact no longer representing me??

Don't panic. If you have a confirmed plan the loss off the attny may have little impact on you personally. So, the first question is. . . Is your plan confirmed? If it is not confirmed (or even if it is and you want more info) contact your Trustee. You are most likely not the only one in this position. Your Trustee may be able to give you a list of attnys willing to take over your case due to the disbarment of your current attny.

Des.

Comment

Yes plan is confirmed.I just feel that I paid my attorney to see this thru til the end..I realize I need to keep plugging away the next 3 years but how do I complete without an attorney.I already paid the first one.I was going to petition to see if I could get ok to seek financing for vehicle..

Comment

Originally posted by mmptysmom View Post
        . . . how do I complete without an attorney.I already paid the first one.I was going to petition to see if I could get ok to seek financing for vehicle..
        Depending upon procedure in your district you may only need a letter from the trustee for the purchase of the vehicle. You probably need to complete a new budget that will show you can afford to continue to make the plan payment despite the added line item for the vehicle.

Having seen your issue before, if your attny routinely handled bk matters, your trustee and/or the US trustee may have answers for you relative to finding another attny and any discounts that may be given. In my district the bk court shut down a bad mill operation. Over 1000 debtors were left without counsel. The self help center, local attnys, the various trustees and the US Trustee got together and worked out a way to deal with an influx of pro se debtors whose cases were totally screwed up. The system can work when disaster strikes. Check with the trustee.

Des.

Comment

I really cant add anything but wanted to support you! I would be pissed and worried to but Des gave good advice always so it should be fine!!! Good luck!
          Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X