Tax filing for 2015 during chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax filing for 2015 during chapter 13

It is tax filing season. In 2015 I had a non-conventional chapter 13 to get rid of an underwater rental property (summarized here: http://www.bkforum.com/forum/before-...ental-property )

Filed may 2015
    Discharged January 2015

No foreclosure notices received yet for the property surrendered in ch 13.

Do i need to do anything special for filling taxes for 2015? Or for 2016 assuming the foreclosure goes through? As far as i can tell nothing has "happened" in 2015 that the IRS cares about.

Posting in before the discharge section since my question is related to a tax period before the discharge.

You don't need to do anything on your taxes unless the bank sends you a 1099-C, reporting the debt as cancelled, in which case you would have to file a form with your return stating that the cancelled debt is excluded from taxable income because it was discharged in bankruptcy. If there is no form 1099-C, then your bankruptcy has nothing to do with your taxes.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I'm curious as to how the insurance has been handled on your condo. I need to surrender a rental home in chapter 13. Insurance on an empty home is EXPENSIVE. Did you leave someone in your condo or is it empty? And has mortgage company come after you to pay insurance? Im not worried about HOA fees or even taxes I could swing those by scraping buy. Im petrified of insurance and years long foreclosure process.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X