top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the cost of selling a home be included in determining repayment amount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the cost of selling a home be included in determining repayment amount?

I think I may have some non-exempt value in my home. Whether I can deduct the cost of selling hte home makes a huge difference in my repayment plan. In fact, if the cost of selling the home is used, I may not have any nonexempt value in my home. Would the cost of selling the home be deducted? Would it likely be done even if that means I end up with no nonexempt value, so that nonsecured creditors would not have received anything in Chap. 7?

No, the cost of selling is not excluded from the "value" of the property. The question is only whether the Trustee would want that non-exempt value. Many people negotiate the non-exempt value with exactly the theory that you propose... that selling would yield nothing. So you offer the Trustee some percentage of the non-exempt value.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you for your helpful explanation. I have more information to ask a better question, so I'm going to repost my somewhat follow up questions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X