When to start making home loan payments after filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to start making home loan payments after filing

We filed our chapter 13 last month. We have our 341 meeting on Tuesday Aug 9th. I am not stressed at all about this meeting. We have a great lawyer who answers all our questions without issue.

We were behind on our house payments, which our being put into our plan. Our car and credit cards/loans are all in there too. Our payments are $810 a month. Then we make our normal house payments. But I can't log into the account for our house payments. I know this can happen. No big deal. But I don't know where to mail our payment. I don't know when to start making the payments again.

Does anyone know when you start paying these payments again?

The payments should be the next monthly payment after filing. If you filed in July 2016 and already made your July payment, then the next due (outside the plan) would be August 1, 2016. If your July 2016 payment was included as an arrearage, then you would still make the August 1, 2016 and each subsequent payment due on the loan. As you wrote, your arrears (missed payments) are included in the plan and will be cured over the life of the Chapter 13 plan.

I say all of that with a grain of salt. Since I didn't create your plan then I can only guess that everything prior to filing was included as arrears or current so should be covered by the plan. Similarly, I assume that your first mortgage payment outside the plan would be the first date it became due after filing, which in your case is August 1, 2016.

You will need to contact your lender to find the payment address for making direct payments. If you have a checking account which features a BillPay service, you could use that to automatically pay the mortgage every month on a schedule or to make one-time payments as you go. Either way, you will need to make your regularly scheduled payments by mailing a check/money order to your lender at the address for payments.

Please follow up with your attorney who can answer the first date that you need to pay directly to your lender.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X