Just when you thought things were moving smoothly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when you thought things were moving smoothly

Everything was going well in my Chapter 13, then last week my son wrecked one car which we had no collision on because trying to keep $$ down and today my check engine light comes on in my van. What to do, what to do? Dropped the car off last night, keep your fingers crossed that it isn't too expensive. I need a car so that I can get to work on Monday, don't have the luxury of having an extra car anymore. Somedays, I wonder how we will make it through this. 21 more payments to go!! Thanks Jman for the PM, we have to really start thinking about that.

Originally posted by helpless View Post
    and today my check engine light comes on in my van.

Would you happen to own a Ford? lol, our check engine light has been on for 3 years!!!

Hopefully your son can find another car, cheap. And hopefully your check engine light only amounts to an oil change or something easy
    Filed: 08/09/06
    341: 09/18/06
    Discharged: 11/22/06
    Closed 11/30/06

Comment

Yep, every Ford i've had, the engine light has been on too!! The last car was a sensor that needed to be replaced....the sensor costed about 80.00 then had to pay labor...got out for around $150.00 on that one. The Ford before that one, was some kind of exhaust clean out (that was done at the Ford place and costed me $300.00 ). My dad's Ford light is on too!
      9/28/06: Filed Chapter 7
      10/25/06: 341 meeting Done!
      12/25/06: Last day for objections.... Dear Santa, can we have a bk discharge for Christmas please?
      1/12/07: Discharged & closed!!

Comment

Son's old Chevy just went thru the "Check Engine Soon" light being on.

His car needed a new EGR. Exhaust Gas Recirculator (??).

And the Oxygen sensor responded slow on the computer diagnostics machine. The mechanic said we might get a few more months to a year out of the Oxygen sensor, or it may go next week.

Putting the car in the shop is a hassle, to put it mildly, so I had that done while it was there too. That added an extra $75 since the car was already gonna be torn apart for the EGR replacement.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Had an auto accident in December 2005. Didn't even have enough cash in the bank to pay the $500 deductible. We had already scraped and robbed Peter to pay Paul just to make the Christmas Holiday nice for the kids.

That is when I really started weighing the pros and cons of a Chapter 13 buyout. I knew that one more unforseen expense like that would kill us and probably send us to the attorney looking to convert to a 7.
          Date Filed: 12/19/2004
          341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
          Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
          Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

Hi, I had a 99 Honda Accord, and just before my papers got filed, my car got flooded, thank goodness I was able to get myself into a new car before the papers went through! Hopefully I won't see major car repairs for the next couple years. Good luck to you!

Catchmeifyoucan
            July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
            Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
            Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
            Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Wished I would have found these boards before I filed. I would have replaced my 2000 toyota for a new car and then filed, but oh well. Any way, got the car back was oxygen sensor and 2 belts replaced to the tune of $400 and I need to have timining belt replace ($600) because it has 100K miles on it, but that will have to wait. Now time to go rip off Peter to pay Paul. When will this ever end.

Comment

Car problems during Ch 13 are awful. Last month my Ford's check engine light went on. The car is 3 years old and I'm the first owner--I have had nothing but disappointments with it. I'm never buying a Ford again! My problem was something with the transmission/drive train, so luckily that was still covered under the 5 year/100k mile warranty. We had to pay $100 and Ford covered the rest.

Best of luck to you getting your car repaired. I know how hard this can all be. Unexpected "surprises" are scary because they have the power to rip your Ch. 13 to pieces. I've been living in fear for 2 years now that something will screw up our plan. I really think the only way we have made it with some unexpected surprises are because of my in-laws. They have been able to help us when bad things came up. We are keeping track of what they have given us and we owe them about 2k now.

Living paycheck to paycheck is awful. We try to save but it seems like things always happen to prevent it. The holidays depress me because buying even small gifts are almost impossible. I think I am even more upset because my hubby and I make good money. You'd never guess by the way we live!

We have 13 months to go until this is all finished. Ug I can't wait!
                jai guru deva om--nothing's gonna change my world...

Comment

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers, too... My Jeep needs some work (transmission, suspension) to head off a serious repair bill in the future, but I just don't have the resources to take care of it yet. Chances are I'll take on a side gig to save up some cash for a motorcycle as a backup vehicle, and then come what may, I guess.
                  09/13/06: -- C13 filed with Courts
                  12/04/06: -- Plan confirmed!
                  Payments left: -- 38

Comment

Having just started on our own Ch 13 journey a few months ago and having an unscheduled emergency hospitalization 12 days after we filed, the dangers of an unexpected ANYTHING in Ch 13 looms large. It's great your inlaws are able to help you out. I wish every one of us in Ch 13 were lucky enough to have some kind of safety net or that our plans would allow us to set aside a few thousand $ that the trustee could disperse to us if we need it for legitimate purposes. If we didn't use it by the end of our plan, then the creditors could have it and welcome to it.

I will NEVER understand how Congress could think that any person's or family's finances would just freeze in place and expensive car repairs, home repairs, and health changes wouldn't happen for three to five years - NOT!!!

No one who is in Ch 13 will be surprised that the successful completion rate for Ch 13 bankruptcies is only about 30%
                    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Gosh folks, I can relate to the car troubles these days....... 2 vehicles and now neither are trustworthy to leave town in....... course their old and I can't really complain much.....

Need to hike them up, put another under them....... but this winter is not the time to do it...... have to replace a roof on the house......

Still haven't recouped from my Chapter 7 yet, those are hard to bounce back from also.....

Takes time, patience, and a lot of "will have to wait's"........

Its not easy either one, 7 or 13, but we will survive................

Minny
                      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

There is hope

Wished I would have found these boards before I filed. I would have replaced my 2000 toyota for a new car and then filed, but oh well. Any way, got the car back was oxygen sensor and 2 belts replaced to the tune of $400 and I need to have timining belt replace ($600) because it has 100K miles on it, but that will have to wait. Now time to go rip off Peter to pay Paul. When will this ever end.

There are a bunch of car dealers that will see you a car, BK or not, but YOU WILL be paying a very high interest rate.

Catchmeifyoucan
                        July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                        Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                        Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                        Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I don't want to go through trustee to get a car loan plus the high interest rate. Hoping that this car will last two more years with no significant problems. Really can't complain, besides oil changes and tires, I haven't put to much into it and it is paid off. Just hurts when there are problems and no way to pay.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X