Chapter 13 to chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 to chapter 7

I am planning to convert my chapter 13 to chapter 7. I stop using my credit cards about one months before filing chapter 13. Am I going to have any problems with the chapter 7?

No you would not. A Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 are both the same in that a discharge is awarded. A Chapter 7 just means that the discharge can be awarded "immediately" (typically within 90 days of filing). ON the other hand, a Chapter 13 is also known as a "pending bankruptcy" which requires the debtor to attempt to pay off some of the unsecured creditors using disposable income over a period of 36 to 60 months. During that "pendancy" as they call it, you are protected by the bankruptcy laws and allowed to pay what you can afford over that time.

The other "nice" thing about a Chapter 13 to Chapter 7 conversion is that you can include any new debt from the time of filing the Chapter 13 to time of conversion.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X