Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cars

This is WAY down the road since my husband and I just filed. We have 2 cars, a 14 Chevrolet Cruze (mine) and a 13 Nissan Altima (his). Mine has 30K miles and his 120K. I told him that once we're done with the 13 we should get rid of his car because of the high miles and get ONE new car. I really don't want more than one car payment at a time. I'm not sure he agrees with me, as far as letting his car go. Anyone have any thoughts?

If you're a family and one or more need a vehicle for work, you likely will always need a 'house" car (or two work cars). Dealing with one car for everyone can be a pain. The work car can be a "beater"... you could keep the 2014 Cruze and use that as your beater. Remember, after the Chapter 13 is done those cars will be paid in full.

I would try to "not" buy a new car until I have to.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Right, that's my thoughts is that the Cruze would be a to and from work car like it is now. But the Nissan will have close to 200K at the end so I figured it would only make sense to get rid of it. But I guess if we haven't had any issues and it's still running good then we could hang onto it for awhile.

Comment

Yes, try to hang on, but keep a plan to replace the "beater" (200K Nissan) car until it becomes unreliable. That way, you can save on car payments until you really need one. I "LOVE" not having a car payment. I'm tempted to buy another one, but I surely love not having a car payment.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I do too, been there and it was great. But I also have a "vice" for new cars, lol!

Comment

When you're done with your CH13 plan, why not take the money that went toward a car payment and save it? When you need to replace the Nissan, you'll have a down payment for the replacement car, if not the whole purchase amount.

Comment

Good idea, thanks!

Comment

My car is a 2006 and needs so much work! I am limping along with it. I plan to keep it for as long as I can, even after bk. hopefully get some work done soon!
                Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X