The Iowa motor vehicle exemption allows you to protect $7,000 of car equity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Iowa motor vehicle exemption allows you to protect $7,000 of car equity

My GMC 2013 Terrain SLE -1 83K miles will have to be sold? Retail value buying from a dealer is $13K. TIA

Non exempt assets do not get liquidated in a Chap 13. If you have $6,000 in non-exempt equity, then your plan must pay unsecured creditors at least $6,000 during the life of your BK.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

My estimated 5 year plan payback is 32K of 72K. So I should be good with my GMC then. Can I have 12K cash as a non-exempt asset? I'm getting 12K inheritance. Attorney said
      wait for inheritance to file. Thanks

Comment

Non exempt cash is treated the same as non exempt equity in a car. So, if you are paying $32K in your plan and have $12K in cash and $6k in non exempt vehicle equity, you will be fine as long as that $32K does not have to cover more than $14K in secured and priority debt and trustee fees.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I don't have any secured debt in plan and no tax debt so no priority debt?
          thanks

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X