Apartment Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apartment Lease

I move out of state to another location and sign an apartment lease as a co-signer... how will the court look at giving me appropriate money to pay the rent? I pay the full rent now and since my credit score is shot from avoiding paying my creditors I would have to have her as a primary even though she doesn't make enough.

I don't understand "give me appropriate money to pay rent"? Rent is based on the USTP Allowances (period). You can't exceed those numbers without some really good reason.

https://www.justice.gov/ust/means-testing/20170401 This link is for cases filed after 4/1/2017 and before they update the numbers are updated again in about October 2017.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

At the moment I'm responsible for my lease which means I'm responsible for the full amount. Now if I move and have a cosigner because my credit is shot in lieu of filing how much would I be given? 50% etc.. So If the lease is $1k with a cosigner would I only be able to claim half?

Comment

The calculations don't work based on whether you are a co-signor. It is based on regular contributions from another person or persons. So if you lease is $1,000 and someone else pays 50% of that, or $500/month, then your actual rent is $500. If the person is solely a guarantor -- a co-signor just to assume liability in case you fail to pay -- then your lease is $1,000 and there is no contribution. You claim the entire $1,000 as your lease payment.

However, that lease payment on the apartment must be equal to or less than the amount for a single person (if you're single and have no dependents) for your specific State and County (see the link sent earlier).
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X