Co-signing after ch13 discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Co-signing after ch13 discharge

My Chapter 13 was discharged two years ago, and it should "fall off" my credit report in April. I have a son going to college next year, will I be able to co-sign for his loans? Do I wait for April for him to apply for private loans? Any advice is welcome and very much appreciated.

For private loans you may have some issues as many private lenders just say no when they see a bankruptcy. You should, however, be able to easily apply for Parent Plus guaranteed loans from the government. Finally, I will just say to not go into serious debt on student loans. Have you children choose an in-State public school. My stepson graduated from a top Florida University System school with a 4-year degree with $0 in debt... not a single student loan. He did run a credit card up a little ($5-6K) but just paid it all off with his first 2 paychecks from his new job.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X