Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Married in Aug 2022

Hi all,

Happy to report the ch13 has been going smoothly and even able to put a little savings to the side. Not a single problem yet. Knock on wood. The plan was confirmed in Dec 2017 so my 5 years will be Dec 2022. So close. I will be getting married is the summer of 2022 which is a few months before the end of the ch13. Is there anything that I will need to do such as advising the attorney when it will be about four months until the end? When I file my taxes in 2023 for the 2022 tax year I will not have to send the tax documents to the trustee because the ch 13 will be over.

We do not live together since I am in a ch13 because I don’t want her to get involved as I know the trustee may want to see her income.

Thanks and hope everyone is doing well.

Due to our financial collapse ten years ago my wife and I separated in 2013 and filed separate bankruptcies (Chapter 7 for her and Chapter 13 for me). During my second year of my Chapter 13 my wife and I started "dating" again, and early in my fourth year we were more or less living together again. Because the Trustee knew we were married and still filing joint tax returns, we deliberately maintained separate addresses; this ended up being all-important for us as the Trustee then had a separate address to send my notification of discharge to her.

Looking back on it, were it not for the fact the Trustee knew of our marriage, we would most certainly have gotten rid of her residence two years earlier; in your case, I would advise you to get married but to keep it quiet and do nothing to rock the boat.

One final bit of advice, since your last payment is due in December of 2022, that means your Discharge will not be granted until some point in early 2023. The timing of my final payment and discharge was similar last year and my attorney advised me to NOT file my taxes until after the discharge was granted, even to the point of filing for an extension if necessary. In the end my Discharge came through in early March last year, so filing for an extension wasn't necessary, but I was prepared for that eventuality.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
      Due to our financial collapse ten years ago my wife and I separated in 2013 and filed separate bankruptcies (Chapter 7 for her and Chapter 13 for me). During my second year of my Chapter 13 my wife and I started "dating" again, and early in my fourth year we were more or less living together again. Because the Trustee knew we were married and still filing joint tax returns, we deliberately maintained separate addresses; this ended up being all-important for us as the Trustee then had a separate address to send my notification of discharge to her.

Looking back on it, were it not for the fact the Trustee knew of our marriage, we would most certainly have gotten rid of her residence two years earlier; in your case, I would advise you to get married but to keep it quiet and do nothing to rock the boat.

One final bit of advice, since your last payment is due in December of 2022, that means your Discharge will not be granted until some point in early 2023. The timing of my final payment and discharge was similar last year and my attorney advised me to NOT file my taxes until after the discharge was granted, even to the point of filing for an extension if necessary. In the end my Discharge came through in early March last year, so filing for an extension wasn't necessary, but I was prepared for that eventuality.
      Thanks and I did not think about the time it takes for the discharge to be granted in early 2023 and to wait on filing taxes and hope I won’t need an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post

We would love to move in together. She owns and I rent but I don’t want her involved due to the money she makes and the trust accounts that she has.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X