top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debtor Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing (DeBN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debtor Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing (DeBN)

This is new and should be available to everyone now. It is allows individual debtors the opportunity to request delivery of court notices and orders via email, instead of U.S. mail, through a program called “Debtor Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing” or “DeBN.”

And it is about freakin time! Not sure if the virus had something to do with or not but it is beyond stupid that pro se litigants can't file electronically but at least this is a start of something.

This has always been available. Anyone can subscribe to Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing. Since at least 2008, it has provided (me) every docket entry that is "served" on me. My court also gives Pro Se debtors a sheet of paper telling them about the service... since at least 2014.

Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing (a/k/a the BNC) only handles noticing. It does not deal with Pro Se filing papers electronically. Some of the districts do allow electronic filing via CM/ECF (the same system as PACER) for Pro Se litigants and some others require it (mandatory).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      This has always been available. Anyone can subscribe to Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing. Since at least 2008, it has provided (me) every docket entry that is "served" on me. My court also gives Pro Se debtors a sheet of paper telling them about the service... since at least 2014.

Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing (a/k/a the BNC) only handles noticing. It does not deal with Pro Se filing papers electronically. Some of the districts do allow electronic filing via CM/ECF (the same system as PACER) for Pro Se litigants and some others require it (mandatory).
      Well Georgia just got it ROFLMAO! It figures.

Comment

Originally posted by womanonfire View Post
        Well Georgia just got it ROFLMAO! It figures.
        The electronic BNC has always been available to anyone (since at least 2008 when I started using it). It goes by name and address to determine whether to send an electronic notice. It saves the Bankruptcy Noticing Center a lot of money not needing to send out certain notices by US Mail. I will say that some courts are pushing it more so that Pro Se filers will know about the service rather than monitoring PACER (CM/ECF) all day.

At least you could always have just gone to the BNC and created an account. Perhaps this is just the bankruptcy court doing it on behalf of Pro Se debtors. (I looked at the form and it appears to be the case that it's just the court intervening... but nothing stopped or stops a debtor from going straight to the BNC and registering.)

Now, CM/ECF electronic filing for debtors has not been available until recently.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

The electronic BNC has always been available to anyone (since at least 2008 when I started using it). It goes by name and address to determine whether to send an electronic notice. It saves the Bankruptcy Noticing Center a lot of money not needing to send out certain notices by US Mail. I will say that some courts are pushing it more so that Pro Se filers will know about the service rather than monitoring PACER (CM/ECF) all day.

At least you could always have just gone to the BNC and created an account. Perhaps this is just the bankruptcy court doing it on behalf of Pro Se debtors. (I looked at the form and it appears to be the case that it's just the court intervening... but nothing stopped or stops a debtor from going straight to the BNC and registering.)

Now, CM/ECF electronic filing for debtors has not been available until recently.
          I called the court to find out when it started and it just started this week in Georgia. I shit you not.

Comment

I would think that Georgia would be ahead of the curve. I stand corrected!

Comment

I would think that Georgia would be ahead of the curve. I stand corrected!
              Oh no, they are most definitely not! And I had to call because as much time as I spent on the Georgia bankruptcy courts site , I could not believe I had missed that option.

Anyway, not only that, while on a conference call with my attorneys, I was told that Georgia HATES debtors! They laughed when they told me that! I knew it was a creditor state but I didn't think they hated us lol.

Updated to add that my attorney submitted the form, I got an email from him about it and here what he replied back: "Submitted! Let me know if you get anything by email. This is an experiment as the program has just been launched by the court."

Comment

Originally posted by womanonfire View Post
                Anyway, not only that, while on a conference call with my attorneys, I was told that Georgia HATES debtors!
                That explains a lot!

Comment

I would avoid notification of anything legal (esp bankrutcy) through email. It is completely insecure and everyone along the hops gets to know your financial life in real time!

Privacy is a natural right and everyone has different boundaries and expectations of 'security'. Its one of our last rights we can still assert by opting out Opting into some bankruptcy notification system is the winning move here to preserver your privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfree2 View Post
                    I would avoid notification of anything legal (esp bankrutcy) through email. It is completely insecure and everyone along the hops gets to know your financial life in real time!

Privacy is a natural right and everyone has different boundaries and expectations of 'security'. Its one of our last rights we can still assert by opting out Opting into some bankruptcy notification system is the winning move here to preserver your privacy.
                    When you file BK, your financial life is made public for the world to see. I am not in the least bit concerned about getting email notifications.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfree2 View Post
                      We actually use email for many legal documents. Some are sent in the clear and some are encrypted (with a separate password). Most legal proceedings are public knowledge anyhow.

But I do agree that financial information should be sent (over the Internet) via a secure means. Either encrypted files or a secure (Internet) location.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X