top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have success getting a secured card while in a Chapter 13? Which card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have success getting a secured card while in a Chapter 13? Which card?

I want to start building credit now while in a Chapter 13. I do realize that sometimes to apply for new credit, you must get court approval.

So for those that got court approval and applied, which card did you have success with? It would be great to have a list!

Thanks!

I received mine from FNBO. Some of the creditors actually check your credit. My FNBO was a secured AMEX, but is now a VISA and it has graduated to unsecured. You may also look to a Credit Union where the underwriting is usually waived for share secured credit cards.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

never mind I misread, I did not have a secured card, mine was the regular type.
      I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

I applied for OpenSky secured and was approved with a TU score of 588 in an active Chapter 13. That score is yuck HOWEVER I ordered a three bureau score from Experian in Feb. of this year and my TU score was 505 so it has improved. I am going to use this card to pay utility bills and set up autopayment to pay off full balance each month. Hopefully within a year I can get a better secured card and ditch this one.

Comment

I wasn’t even sure this was ever allowed. I’m just in the very early stages, not even at confirmation yet. How long in did you wait to see about getting one? I was thinking about year 3 of my 5 year plan I would ask.

Comment

Originally posted by AnxiousUserX View Post
            I wasn’t even sure this was ever allowed. I’m just in the very early stages, not even at confirmation yet. How long in did you wait to see about getting one? I was thinking about year 3 of my 5 year plan I would ask.
            I filed last year in November so I'm past confirmation but not a year into a 100% plan. I also just got approved for a Venmo card, unsecured with cashback and a $2800 credit limit. I didn't think I would get approved, I am just starting to build and was curious about getting a denial letter with a score on it as starting point so I am quite surprised. I'm also nervous because an unsecured card may not be allowed OOPS! but I am not bringing to anyone's attention and going to try and fly under the radar here....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X