Timing of filing ch13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing of filing ch13

Curious on the experiences here....trying to decide on the timing of our filing. being the end of the year is there any benefit to filing after Jan 1st so in the new year or before in Dec 2023. the filing of taxes (we will owe some), and with Christmas, and trying to budget for the new payment. etc.
    I know lots of other variables go into the filing date. just need some thoughts on the subject. thanks

If you owe taxes, I would wait until after December 31st so that you can (more) easily include them in the current Chapter 13. Well, any past due tax must be paid in the Chapter 13, but I think having filed it makes this easier when you get to confirmation. If you do it after confirmation you would then need to modify the plan which can be a pain.

If you can deal with waiting, I would wait a little while until you know all your bills (taxes, medical, etc) are known at the time you file. Just my preference.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I talked to my lawyer and I think we are going to wait to file in Jan so we can file our taxes and include the debt in the ch 13. it will delay filing though.
      otherwise it would be a debt outside the bk.
      so it means filing in Feb or so...as opposed to in a couple weeks. not sure if this is a positive or not. thanks for the help

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X