Almost there, but…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost there, but…

Filed Ch13 in Jan 2019. Has been a tough almost 5 years, but the end is in sight.
    in Oct of this year, the Trustee looked at our income statements for the year and saw that my wife went from part-time to full-time in her retail job. Less than 10% increase to our earnings, and my wife has had to pay 0% to our plan - all the payments came from my earnings (I make much more than my wife).
    In Nov of this year, Trustee files an amended plan, raising the repayment %, and the monthly payment amount - retroactive to Jan of this year. I ask my lawyer how this will work, he says just keep making payments as usual, they have made no other demand.
    2 weeks later, Trustee moves to dismiss my case because the plan is no longer feasible - the retroactive increase in payment means we have a large delinquency. I do some math that I share with my attorney showing that between my remaining payments and my anticipated EOY bonus, the plan should still be feasible. Attorney files an objection to the Trustee’s motion. Hearing is scheduled for 12/21.
    12/15, I receive my bonus, notify my attorney, and tell him I’ll submit my bonus as soon as I learn that my plan won’t be dismissed anyway. He talks to the Trustee, who responds that they are moving to again increase my payment % based on the bonus (even though projected bonuses were part of the original budget/plan), and therefore I am still in arrears. He recommends I take a loan against my 401k to clear the arrears, and submit my bonus immediately.
    I’ve submitted my bonus, I’ve applied for a 401k loan…but I’m wondering what the next shoe to drop will be. We’re so close to the end of this, and if my case gets dismissed in the literal last month it will be a royal screw.
    Just venting, with fingers crossed - thanks for listening!

I hope it gets better. Did your attorney tell you not to report the spouse working?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

No, he didn’t. We had reported every raise I had received, 2 of them significant (more than 10%), and there had been no change to our plan. So honestly we didn’t think about it when my wife went from part-time to full-time.

Comment

Last minute Chapter 13 surprises are no fun. Hopefully your attorney can fashion something to satisfy the gap.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That’s the plan with the 401k loan.
          Is it unusual to have surprises (like, we’re raising your plan payment by your bonus amount, even though your projected bonuses were part of the palm and we haven’t done that in previous years) this late in the game?

Comment

Oh geez.... man, I feel so bad for you going through this. We are near the end of ours as well and the fact that a Trustee would do this is just a little mindboggling and also scary.

We have gone through a couple of increases to our plan as well, but the Trustee always went through our lawyer before filing anything and our lawyer would check with us to make sure we agreed to it and everything before filing. I know every Trustee is different, but did the Trustee reach out to your lawyer at all regarding it before filing? It sounds like the filing was a surprise to everyone involved.

Maybe someone else can comment on making payment increases retroactive. Can a Trustee do that? In all my reading I haven't read of a situation where that has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by mh321 View Post

We have gone through a couple of increases to our plan as well, but the Trustee always went through our lawyer before filing anything and our lawyer would check with us to make sure we agreed to it and everything before filing. I know every Trustee is different, but did the Trustee reach out to your lawyer at all regarding it before filing? It sounds like the filing was a surprise to everyone involved.

Maybe someone else can comment on making payment increases retroactive. Can a Trustee do that? In all my reading I haven't read of a situation where that has happened.
              The Trustee reached out to the attorney on the change in payment amount. The attorney didn't tell me it was retroactive until I received a copy of the order in the mail and I asked him about it (and that's when he said "You should just continue to make payments. I've not received any demand for anything else." )
              2 weeks later he notified me of the motion to dismiss because of the outstanding arrears from the retroactive payments - it appears he was not notified in advance of that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X