What to do...long post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do...long post

Ok.. I just want to bounce some things out there...

We filed Chapter 7 pro se old law in October 2005 in Hawaii. We converted On 2/15/06 to Chapter 13 under 11 USC 1307, after the UST objected to some expenses, especially because of the car payment of the vehicle we wanted to keep. We want to surrender that vehicle at this point...

We transferred to the western district of LA in January 2007, which is were we are now.

I am a full-time student, and husband is in military. Our income declined about $2000 after leaving HI, becasue while there, we had a large housing allowance and cost of living allowance. Our CH 13 payment of $300 is based on $5400 in income and $5100 in expenses. Now, we have $3344 in income at about $4400 in expenses. Our expenses went down some because of cost of living, but we now have to pay child care, car insurance went up, and transportation went up because, though gas is a little cheaper here, we have to do more driving because we live in a rural area.

We can't afford our plan payment. I cut a lot of stuff, and we just can't keep it up. We want to surrender our car, which will get rid of that payment (outside of the plan now), but we are still in the hole.

According to what I have read, 11 USC 706 (I believe) says that you can convert unless previously converted un 11 USC 1307, which, if I'm reading it right, means we cannot convert back to a 7. I did some reading on hardship discharge. According to 11USC 1328, there are three conditions (unforseeable and not debtor's fault, creditors get as much as in CH 7, and plan cannot be amneded). I think we satisfied these, and we do not anticipate nay major raise in the next year or so. We had 2 weeks notice of a move on military orders (not our fault), so we did not know or were able to plan for the loss of income, we paid in $3000 to our plan, and a CH 7 wouls've been no asset, so we're clear there, and even in amending and reducing expenses, there is still not enough money to fund a plan.

My husband was not eligible at this time for promotion, so there shouldn't be an increase in income. When I finish school, I'll get a job, but that's not until December 2008, so the income is not moving for at least a year.

We are currently without an attorney, as we cut our HI attorney loose, because she's not able to practice here, and was not much help there. I know I need to consult one for more district-specific information, but I wanted to pick the intelligent minds here...would a hardship discharge be feesible, even a little bit...or are we wasting our time?

Sorry this is so long, and thanks for reading, but I wanted to give as much information as possible.
    Last edited by coma; 04-11-2007, 02:17 AM. Reason: Typo
    Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;
    341 Meetings: 11/28/05, 3/20/06, 12/4/07 (3d time's a charm!)
    Converted: 2/15/06 (to CH13), 10/15/07 (Back to CH7)
    DISCHARGED: 2/15/08

I would be looking for an attorney or perhaps a jag lawyer to help you straighten everything out. Perhaps dismissing this case and then refiling a chapter 7 might be the best option? Check with an attorney.

Comment

Sounds like you are in a world of hurt with 1000/month more in expenses than income. Definatly try for the hardship discharge. Consult several bk lawyers though, you will need help.
      Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
      Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
      Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Thanks for the input...that's what I figured. We're definitely seeking an attorney at this point, but I just wanted to gauge this...
        Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;

Comment

Maybe you can ammend your payments to better match your situation, as well as make major adjustment in your living expenses, such as the car. I would do EVERYTHING possible not to have the BK dismissed.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
            Maybe you can ammend your payments to better match your situation, as well as make major adjustment in your living expenses, such as the car. I would do EVERYTHING possible not to have the BK dismissed.
            We've been doing that, and we are surrendering the car. We have to, because they had the stay lifted last year, and we are no longer current. I'm trying to avoid dismissal, but I cannot cut anything else, unless we stop needing food... Our budget has been WAY adjusted, as we figured, since it is cheaper to live here than it was in HI, but we downgraded even more, to include moving on-post, but we now have to pay because it is privatized housing, so I don't know what else to cut. We jst can't afford it. We're keeping up our trustee payments at all costs, and we're going to try for the motion. We consulted at JAG, who is helping us write it, though they cannot go to court with us. So at least our motion is professionally written, and they will prep us before court, and the JAG attorney, who is a member of the LA bar, feels good about it, that we at least have a chance. If it is denied, then we have to tough it out or get dismissed. I'm kind of at the point that I don;t care anymore...we haven't anything to take, except wages, and there's not much there to begin with, after almost 13 years, three combat tours, and 4 purple hearts...
            Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;

Comment

COMA, check this link

Here is someone who might add a different perspective, if they are willing to help.

Included in the description of the site is this:

Alfred F. Arquilla, and Joyce E. Peters, who is of counsel to the law firm, are retired Army judge advocate colonels who together possess over fifty years of experience serving in high-level legal positions within the military and the Federal government. As former career military officers, they fully understand the legal problems and needs of military families and the personal sacrifices which arise from serving our country. They are especially concerned about those who are economically or geographically disadvantaged in protecting or asserting their legal rights by virtue of their military duties. Our law firm therefore has an active pro bono practice aimed at helping military families with only limited financial resources. Generally, our pro bono practice is focused on helping E-3s and below and their spouses, when they have no source of income other than military pay, with their legal problems and needs.

Contact them even if your husband's rank is higher. They might be interested, and the worst they can say is NO, which we have all heard too often anyway. One more No won't hurt, especially if it's a YES,

link here:

The experienced attorneys of Arquilla Law, PLC in Fairfax County, Virginia, provide cost-efficient and responsive client services.

Maybe they can help, and will be inclined to. I am soo sorry to hear this is happening to you.

My family(and all families) owe you all a tremendous debt and our gratitude. I hope they can help. Please let us know.
              Last edited by DeadManCrawling; 04-20-2007, 07:14 PM.
              11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
              12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
              3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Thanks for the information. We're partially responsible for what has happened to us financially, though when we tried to catch up, they wouldn't et us. I've read your story too hang in there
                Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X