Paid Ch 13 Early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid Ch 13 Early

We are completely done with our Chapter 13, and we are 6 months early. I did have some trouble getting our atty to assist us with getting the discharge to happen. So, I took a chance and called the trustee office. I asked if they could give me an idea on when the discharge would happen. We have our own situation going on, we are trying to buy a house and really needed that paperwork. I could not believe when the trustee's office called be back the same day and said she just filed our discharge paperwork. Over the weekend, I noticed PACER now states our Ch 13 is terminated.

We are happy to say we are done with the bankruptcy, but last week we recieved a call stating we may not be getting the new house that we have been building due to the current state of the market. This was my worst fear a few months ago, I was up front with everyone involved about our situation. I called and received approval from our attorney since we were not trying to buy until we had paid off our Ch 13. However, lenders are closing up and we are having trouble getting our loan approved. We have fingers crossed, but we have realized that we can go on and we will find another house one day. After paying $2064.00 for the last 18 months and always just getting by, we are much stronger.

I would like to tell everyone in Ch 13 and that are married, if you can get through bankruptcy together, you will be stronger. My husband and I always argued about money, we lived in a manufactured home and in August 2005 we recieved a letter telling us to move that the land had been sold. We only filed Ch 13 to get out of from owing on the house but told our attorney we did not want to walk away from our debt. We paid 100% to secured and a portion back on the manufactured home.
    I will not say the last 18 months was easy, but my husband is best friend and we now work together when it comes to money.

I am hoping to get good news for our dream house, but til then I can rest at night knowing that we are starting the next chapter of our lives..

Filed - Sept 2005
    Confirmed Dec 2005
    Discharged July 2007

Originally posted by jugheadjoe View Post
    We are completely done with our Chapter 13, and we are 6 months early.
    Congratulations and a big high-five for completing your Ch 13 successfully! Only about 30% of us manage it (some end up converting to Ch 7, others are dismissed for non-payment). It's always great to see one of us 13ers make it to the end....and you made it! Way to go and best of luck finding your home. If it isn't this one, it will be another.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

My husband and I are the same situation as you are. We filed after the law changed and started our first payments in Jan 2006. We have been successful in making our payments and sent the final payment in March 2010 which is 11 months early. Our attny is also not really helping to move this faster for us. He just wants to sit and wait. We are planning to put the house on the market once we get the discharge and then also buy a new house. We were told it would take 6 months to get court approval to sell. We have a teenager that needs to be registered in school by the end of August so this needs to move quickly. I want to call the trustee just to see if she can give us a better idea how long this is going to take and if we need to change our upcoming plans. My husband said we are not allowed to call the trustee because we have an attny (Pittsburgh) is this true?

We also had to pay every dime we owed and we had to live with no credit cards these last 4 years. I love life without credit cards - it's cash all the way or we don't buy it!!! You are right about making it through chapter 13 and having a stronger marriage for it. He understands how I feel and the embarrassment that this whole events have cause but we spend our time talking about how wonderful our life is at this point being debt free and how everyone we know is into debt to their eyes.

I just want that discharge paper so I can feel like this is truly behind us. Our trustee hasn’t even paid all the creditors yet even though she has all the money we owe. I am frustrated and ready to scream.

Congrats to you for completing it successfully – the right house will be available when you are able to move forward. Sometimes things are just meant to be! You will be moving into your new home soon!

Comment

Just a quick question, how does one pay off their Ch 13 early? I am assuming that you were are a 100% payback?

Comment

Yes we are. We had to pay every dollar we owed. All of our creditors also made claims so we had to pay everyone in full. We were lucky to get a few large bonuses this year and we used them to end this earlier.

Comment

Good luck with the trustee in Pittsburgh. I just had it out with the Trustee today. The Judge ended the garnishment this May and the Trustee said it is a very long period for them to do the discharge. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do. We want to move south, but I'm afraid that it could be as long as a year for that office to do their review. It is just insane. I could not help myself and I pretty much left them have it. Probably not the smartest thing I could do but we haven't missed a payment and the mortgage bank says the Trustee is 3 months behind, while the Trustee told me she was caught up. Regardless, good luck to you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X