in the negative on means test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the negative on means test

IF YOU fall in the negative on the means test does that mean I would fall in to the 3 year plan at the lowest payback available?
    filed 13 07-31-08
    confirmed 10-28-08
    33 payments down 3 to go

Originally posted by brokeNconfused View Post
    IF YOU fall in the negative on the means test does that mean I would fall in to the 3 year plan at the lowest payback available?
    Pretty much the only folks who get confirmed for three year Ch 13 plans these days are those that earn under or right at the median but still show at least $160/month disposable income on Schedules I and J (usually because they don't have big assets to even out the schedules). Everyone else gets five year plans.

In Ch 13 payback is not determined directly from how much you make. It's a complicated comparison of income vs expenses vs. assets vs. exemptions with local variations in how the law is interpreted thrown in for good measure. There's precious little black and white in Ch 13 - mostly it's a lot of gray based on local customs with inconsistent case law decisions thrown in for good measure...sigh...
    Last edited by lrprn; 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

My attorney requested 48 months because he said that the trustee will usually reject if you ask for 36 months (the shortest) but I did not want to pay for 60 months so we opted for a 48 month plan..Well it was confirmed at 52 months!!! I am very please with the shorter plan. Nothing wrong with trying...it does depend on the trustee.

Comment

well i know i am under medeian and believe ill show no disposable income based on family size and expenses..
        filed 13 07-31-08
        confirmed 10-28-08
        33 payments down 3 to go

Comment

then why are you doing a 13 and not a 7?
          Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
          341 July 1, 2008
          Discharged September 4, 2008
          Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

because my house in on a variable intrest rate that kicks in, in 2 years. I want to keep credit well enough to refinance house into a fixed rate. Ill have the equity then. hoping for a small payback on 3 year term with a 13
            filed 13 07-31-08
            confirmed 10-28-08
            33 payments down 3 to go

Comment

You are taking a gamble that you will have equity with the current housing market.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X