Adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adoption

Can you adopt a child while in a 13 plan?

ooooh good question. I'm adopted, it's not worth it! LOL jk...
    I'm not sure but that is a good one because it will definitely cost you.
    I cost 10K in the 60's
    Filed: October 1, 2007 341: December 10, 2007
    CONFIRMED: December 10, 2007
    Payment: $825 / Mo. for 5 Years-29 MONTHS OF Pmts Down 23 to go!

Comment

There is nothing illegal or against the rules about adopting during a chapter 13.

The real question is, where are you going to get the money. While in a chapter 13, you cannot assume new debt without the trustee's permission. Adoptions can cost anywhere from $20,000 -- $50,000+

Also, where are you going to fit in a new child into your budget. Most chapter 13 budgets are fairly tight. IMO, from a practical stand point, adopting during a chapter 13 is not a prudent move.
      Last edited by HHM; 04-19-2008, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I agree, its not about the adoption, it's about whether you have the money to do it and whether you will create new debt in the process for the legal fees.
        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

we adopted in a ch 13

we adopted thru the state though . We were doing foster care & ended up adopting one of our foster children. It costs no money when you adopt thru the children youth & family system at least in PA. As a matter of fact though we ended up switching from a 7 to a 13 due to the foster care payment we received for him . Our lawyer told us his income put us over so we either sent him packing or changed to a 13. The answer was obvious we love him! But we did not have to go to the trustee!

Awaiting Discharge
          36th final payment 12/07

Comment

Originally posted by pedsrn85 View Post
            we adopted thru the state though . We were doing foster care & ended up adopting one of our foster children. It costs no money when you adopt thru the children youth & family system at least in PA. As a matter of fact though we ended up switching from a 7 to a 13 due to the foster care payment we received for him . Our lawyer told us his income put us over so we either sent him packing or changed to a 13. The answer was obvious we love him! But we did not have to go to the trustee!

Awaiting Discharge
            36th final payment 12/07
            True, the cost depends on the nature of the adoption, if you are adopting an older child, or special needs child, those adoptions are fairly inexpensive and often subsidized by the state. However, there is still the issue of budget. If you are trying to adopt an infant, forget it, those adoptions can cost tens of thousands or dollars.

Comment

Yes, most adoptions of children and youth with special needs are less expensive and there are agencies specializing in those children. Caring for some of those kids can be very expensive so do your homework and check out a private, non profit agency that specializes in this area. They are usually easier to work with than are large state agencies.

Good luck. While you don't have to be rich to love a child, financial stress does affect families and could be a risk factor for the adoption to disrupt.

Just my thoughts,
              jane
              Filed: 2/24/2006
              341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
              Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

you know, I was just thinking about it from one side of the coin..... I wonder if an adoption agency might have a problem with someone being in an active BK? They are pretty strict on the making sure the prosective parents are finanancially secure......just a thought...
                Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Cindy. They WILL pull your credit, trust me. Once they see you're not financially stable, your hopes are pretty much gone. I'd wait until it's over.
                  Filed: October 1, 2007 341: December 10, 2007
                  CONFIRMED: December 10, 2007
                  Payment: $825 / Mo. for 5 Years-29 MONTHS OF Pmts Down 23 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorMike View Post
                    I was thinking the same thing Cindy. They WILL pull your credit, trust me. Once they see you're not financially stable, your hopes are pretty much gone. I'd wait until it's over.
                    The adoption agencies and the courts are not that anal about credit. It is more an income and expense issue than a credit worthiness issue when it comes to adoption.

Comment

You could also consider the fost-to-adopt program. At least in PA, county children and youth agencies will place you with a child that has a greater chance of being permanently adopted. Just another avenue to investigate...........
                      Filed: 3/12/08
                      341 Meeting: 4/11/08
                      Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X