Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 Month Waiting Period

MY first post here.

My wife and I have been considering a Chap 13. We had to do one years ago...and sadly now we are looking at this again.

However our local BK Atty, said that due to the changes in the law, we will have to wait 6 months prior to filing and go thru the credit counseling deal. I thought that was just for Chapter 7's.

And in the meantime, my gas is off at home, my creditors are hounding me at work etc...etc.

Help! Advice.

Thanks!

Credit counseling is a requirement, but at the longest is 2 hours... Why the six month wait? Is there something questionable in your lookback?
    Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
    Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
    60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

My understanding was the 6 month period was part of the new 2005 BK law, or maybe an Illinois law?

Not really sure.

Comment

I too am wondering if you had made significant purchases -- which would be non-dischargeable -- in the past year. Or it could be your salary or some other lump sum within the last 6 months that would cause your income to be strange (higher than what it really is).

Hopefully, whatever it was, rolls off in six months and you are good to go.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by forpetessake View Post
          My understanding was the 6 month period was part of the new 2005 BK law, or maybe an Illinois law?
          There is a six-month lookback period from the day you file; that's what the trustee will use to determine your income. Many of us have timed our filings to ensure that six month period is the one during which our incomes were the lowest. I'm not aware of any waiting period required by law.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
          Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
          341 meeting: July 18, 2008
          last day for objections: September 16, 2008
          DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

I did some more research and I think it is that you have to do it within 180 days of filing. So if I met with a BK lawyer, started the process I would have to get it done within 180 days before he filed it? I think.

Nope....no big purchases, no big changes in income.

Comment

Was your last BK a 7 or 13? And how many years ago was it? Maybe you haven't made the whatever years is required before you can file again.

Comment

Nope.....that's not it. I think maybe was wife was confused when talking to the atty.

Comment

You have to file within 6 months of taking your pre-bankruptcy counseling. If you go beyond that, you have to do it over. The certificates are only valid for 180 days.
                  Filed CH13 12/31/08, abandoned March 09 after losing job.

Ch7 Filed March 2010. 341 Meeting April 2010. Discharge and Case Closed July 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by bcvw View Post
                    You have to file within 6 months of taking your pre-bankruptcy counseling. If you go beyond that, you have to do it over. The certificates are only valid for 180 days.
                    I'll bet that's it.
                    Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
                    341 meeting: July 18, 2008
                    last day for objections: September 16, 2008
                    DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

Yah... I decided to file, and filed on the same day. A Saturday. I had the credit counseling an hour before actually filing, so I don't think you'll actually have to wait 180 days if you don't have anything strange in your lookback.
                      Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08

Comment

Thanks guys!

Sounds like I could have my gas back on and creditors to harrassing us within a week. This sucks so bad. Lately instead of living paycheck to paycheck, we have been living day to day. So even the possibility of hope brightens my day. lol

Comment

I know the feeling. Good luck to you! I had my car repoed, and that was the last straw for me. Had my car back in two days and in 34 months my life will be my own again. With no debt. I am determined to never carry a balance on a credit card, or pay a utility or any bill (for that matter) late again. One can dream!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X