Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing in ~90 days, what to expect?

Hi all,

what should I expect with regard to my current checking/savings accounts (no CC or loan w/that bank) as far as checks, direct deposit, debit card, etc. Do most just shut you off? I've seen some horror stories here but not sure what I should do to prepare for. I want my ducks in a row and make this painful decision as painless as possible.

not sure if its going to be a 7 or a 13 yet, lawyers are working that out now.

as a rule, banks are easier to work with in bk than credit unions. Having no loans will help because they are not effected in any way by your bk. I was able to keep all my debit cards etc. However everything else was shut off like a faucet. But your direct deposit should be fine and you can bank as you normally would.

Comment

:everything else" meaning what? cable? electricity?

-scared. (and scarred)

Comment

Originally posted by t160out View Post
        what should I expect with regard to my current checking/savings accounts (no CC or loan w/that bank) as far as checks, direct deposit, debit card, etc. Do most just shut you off?
        The key is really to insure that you don't have any other financial relationship with that Bank, which would be included in the Bankruptcy.

This includes, credit cards, car loans, mortgages, liens of credit, and... OVERDRAFT PROTECTION accounts! (Trust me, I learned that the hard way on the overdraft protection account.)

Otherwise, it's usually business as usual. I will caveat that Credit Unions are strange beasts. Many of them will through you out if you file Bankruptcy because a Credit Union is owned by the members.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X