Chapter 13 Mortgage Lien Strips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Mortgage lien stripped & payment added to monthly Ch 13 plan payment

Our Chapter 13 plan was recently confirmed. The 2nd mortgage lien strip was successful with no response whatsoever from 2nd mortgage holder.

Our attorney requested that the $280 2nd mortgage monthly payment amount (which we have not paid in some time due to lack of funds) be added to our monthly Chapter 13 plan amount deducted from our paycheck. So our monthly Chapter 13 plan payment has increased by $280. We could not pay it before what makes them think we can pay it now. Frustrating!

Comment

You must commit ALL DISPOSABLE INCOME to your Chapter 13 plan, if your plan doesn't pay 100% to unsecured creditors. That's just a fact. If your attorney did your Chapter 13 Plan correctly and you stick to a budget, you can actually save money and still be generally okay. If you're unable to budget or stick to the plan, you are doomed to fail.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gage35 View Post
        Our Chapter 13 plan was recently confirmed. The 2nd mortgage lien strip was successful with no response whatsoever from 2nd mortgage holder.

Our attorney requested that the $280 2nd mortgage monthly payment amount (which we have not paid in some time due to lack of funds) be added to our monthly Chapter 13 plan amount deducted from our paycheck. So our monthly Chapter 13 plan payment has increased by $280. We could not pay it before what makes them think we can pay it now. Frustrating!
        Okay - I'm not understanding something here. If your schedules showed your total DMI at XX, your monthly payment to the trustee reflected that, your 2nd was successfully motioned to strip (and will be upon plan completion) - then how on earth are they requiring the 2nd's payment to be added in NOW?

Did your attorney include it originally in your means test and schedules when you filed your plan?

we stripped our 2nd - and it was not included in the DMI calcuation.

What am I missing here? Justbroke...?? If your DMI is XXX and thats it - how can they add in a payment for a 2nd thats been stripped (or will be) and is unsecured?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
          Okay - I'm not understanding something here. If your schedules showed your total DMI at XX, your monthly payment to the trustee reflected that, your 2nd was successfully motioned to strip (and will be upon plan completion) - then how on earth are they requiring the 2nd's payment to be added in NOW?
          Because a lot of people include the stripped 2nd, in the Means Test as an expense. That's how. (Noting that a Chapter 13's Means Test -- Official Form B22C -- behaves a little differently than the one used in a Chapter 7.)

Did your attorney include it originally in your means test and schedules when you filed your plan?
          That's exactly what I'm thinking.

we stripped our 2nd - and it was not included in the DMI calcuation.
          That's the way it should be. You shouldn't have the 2nd in the Means Test (B22C) as an expense on Line 47. (Noting that some Districts may want it there initially, and if you get the lien strip granted, then to go back and amend B22C and the Plan.)

What am I missing here? Justbroke...?? If your DMI is XXX and thats it - how can they add in a payment for a 2nd thats been stripped (or will be) and is unsecured?
          I think you have it Pandora. The 2nd was probably included on Line 47 for "projected" secured expenses.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

*whew* Thank GOD - I was starting to panic LOL :P Thinking to myself as I read the post "hmmm...we were just confirmed...will it change suddenly?"

I think you should become a lawyer JB - I'd hire ya! ;)

Comment

newbie here.. we are talking to a lawyer in Ok about a chapter 13.. we have a first mortage that we owe about 150k and a second Home equity line of credit that is about 18 k.. we are going to be in a 100 percent payback i know for sure.. can we strip the second? also coming into play we may not be keeping the house.. any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by bagoose View Post
                newbie here.. we are talking to a lawyer in Ok about a chapter 13.. we have a first mortage that we owe about 150k and a second Home equity line of credit that is about 18 k.. we are going to be in a 100 percent payback i know for sure.. can we strip the second? also coming into play we may not be keeping the house.. any advice?
                First thing you need to answer is if you're keeping the house or not. If you dont owe back taxes to anyone or some other major priority along those lines - then I would try for a 7 and do a "stay and pay" so you can walk away if you need to later without recourse.

If you do decide to keep the house - then to strip the 2nd the value of the home must be less than what is owed to the 1st. This means getting a certified appraisal. Most people get a CMA or BPO - they arent as good as a cert. appraisal because they're just based on comps, square footage, county tax records and what the outside of your house looks like. Cert. Appraisals are an actual walk through of house and property.

What makes you think you'll be 100% payback? You need to do your schedules to determine your DMI. Means test is the first part of qualifying but remember you can be over median and still file Ch. 7 if you are neg. DMI.

Good luck to you!

Comment

i already have seen an attorney and are definatley a chapter 13 with 100 percent payback based on income and debt owed.. we dont want to keep the house because in addition to all this we are getting divorced.. will the deficite be added later to my payback? we arent even behind on the house yet so it would be a while before a sheriff sale?

Comment

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know, that I got my 2nd Lien stripped! Plan was confirmed today, and now all we have to do is make the payments!

Backstory:

Bought a house in Los Angeles in March '07 - 5 Months later the home was worth $200,000.00 less than I paid for it. We struggled with what to do for a while, then we discovered the Chap 13 Lien strip. It was a long tough road, with a lot of hard work, by us and our attorney but now it's done!

My house is now affordable, and we got rid of all the crappy consumer debt that we built up after we bought the house. All in all, I just saved myself $250,000.00!

W00T! Yay BK!

Comment

Hey Diesel73, Congrats to you! I am awaiting my confirmation next week on Chapter 13 payment and lien strip. My 2nd lien holder is contesting. I am in CA as well and bought in 06. My first is $486,000 and second is $155,000. Was your home appraised for less than your first lien? Did your 2nd lien holder contest? Please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Hey lilloarin,

I did get an appraisal on the home and it came in valued less than the first mortgage. The 2nd lien holder didn't contest the decision. If fact, the judge actually gave them more time to respond, but they did not. So far we've been in the plan for a few months and all is ok. I'm building my cash pad in case of emergencies and staying current with everything. Good luck with your lien strip. Our life has gotten a lot better and less stressful since we got ours confirmed.

Comment

I am going to file for Ch.13 next week. I have been preparing for Ch.13 for last 8 months. The main reason for my Ch.13 is Lien stripping. My primary loan is $218k and I am sure that if I go for appraisal, i will get it for more than $230 or $240k. But, my attorney is very confident that we can show the assessed value (from country property appraisers website) and do the lien stripping. The reason for this is assessed value of my house is $180k. I am taking a huge risk. But, I dont see any other option as I have credit card debts also and if I dont file Ch.13 now, then Citi bank is going for Judgement on 11th January. The second loan that i am trying to strip is $126k and it's from BofA. My attorney is also giving me confidence (from his experience) that BofA will not contest for lien stripping!!!! Can any of you guys give your feedback/expert opinion on my situation? I am located at Broward country of South Florida.

Comment

Lien question

My husband filed for ch 13 bk pro se and is confirmed.

He is in his second year of the plan. We just found out that a creditor attached a lien to our house. We don't know when this happened, yet.

My husband is on the title to the house as a co-owner. His mother is the owner with the mortgage in her name, but we make the payments. We were in the process of refinancing, thru his mother of course, but the title company found the lien and now we are not closing tomorrow.

Can we get the lien stripped from the house? The creditor that attached the lien is being paid thru the plan. Then lien is for more than what the creditor sued for. We can't find the lien anywhere in our public records, we just wanted to see when it was issued.

I know my questions are all jumbled but, I'm just little frustrated. Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by ilikchikin View Post
                              My husband filed for ch 13 bk pro se and is confirmed.

He is in his second year of the plan. We just found out that a creditor attached a lien to our house. We don't know when this happened, yet.

My husband is on the title to the house as a co-owner. His mother is the owner with the mortgage in her name, but we make the payments. We were in the process of refinancing, thru his mother of course, but the title company found the lien and now we are not closing tomorrow.

Can we get the lien stripped from the house? The creditor that attached the lien is being paid thru the plan. Then lien is for more than what the creditor sued for. We can't find the lien anywhere in our public records, we just wanted to see when it was issued.

I know my questions are all jumbled but, I'm just little frustrated. Please help.
                              If they did that after the BK filing, that is an egregious violation of the automatic stay; you should then have an attorney (on a contingency basis) go after them for damages and attorney fees.
                              C7 Filed: 2009-11-06 | 341: 2009-12-14: | DISCHARGED: 2010-02-09
                              Condo: Walked away due to 2nd mortgage intransigence; 1st foreclosed. Now totally DEBT FREE!!

Comment

First, did you have Trustee permission to refinance while you are in a pending bankruptcy (Chapter 13)??? That's the first thing that you should have done. As for the "other" mysterious lien, you will need to figure it out yourself. Even if you could "strip" it, the refinance lender won't touch it because unless and until you receive a discharge in the pending Chapter 13, the lien is valid and enforceable!

The lien must be public since the Title company found it. Have you looked in the UCC Secured Transaction Registry for Florida??? I'm guessing that the lien is there. It's probably from a "finance" company that you used, like CitiFinancial, EquityOne, HSBC, etc, that you used as a "signature" loan or something. Since you indicate that you know that this company exists, because they are paid through the plan, then you must have (or should have) known that they have a "secured" debt since they are "named" in the Plan.

Florida Secured Transaction Registry (http://www.floridaucc.com/UCCWEB/)
                                Last edited by justbroke; 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X