staying in a hotel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

staying in a hotel

We have to go away for a night and need to stay in a hotel. How do you do this if you dont have a credit card. Everyone wants you to put it on credit and wont except a bank card. What do you do? Its for a family issue, so we have to go....

I would say, try and get one of these cards that looks like a credit card, but really isnt? I read about those somewhere.

If that doesnt exist or work, then try and pay a deposit on it. Or call around and find a hotel that doesn't do that.

It might end up being a low quality hotel, but if its temporary, who cares, it beats the shelter.

Comment

I've used a debit card several times to stay in a hotel, and had no problem at all. Why won't they accept one?

Comment

Keep in mind if you use a debit card, (or even a credit card), they may intiially authorize and amount more than your nightly rate. I.E. say it was $100 a night, they may authorize $300 to cover any charges you might make to your room. This authorization could reduce your available money in your account. The auth SHOULD fall off when the actual amount charged posts to your account. However, sometimes the auth stays out there a set number of days (1-14) regardless. Just be prepared to have extra money in your account so this doesnt bite ya.
        March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
        Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

As TooMuchCredit has written, they will take what is known as a "hold" on your debit card. Unfortunately, this hold stays on your debit card (against your checking account) for 7-10 days and/or until they actually post the charge.

Most hotels that are full service, will add (hold) an additional $50/day for incidentals (restaurant, room service, movies, telephone) to the rate. So your $100/night hotel will become $100 plus your taxes plus the $50. It could be $175/night that they take a hold on your card.

If you have no problems with the extra money being held... no problem. If you are unsure, you can always ASK them at the desk. You can also tell them that you don't want incidentals taken out and that you prefer to not have movies or telephone and will pay for any restaurant or room service at the time you use those services.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have done this several ways. I have sent the hotel a cashier's check, I have sent them money orders, and I have put it on my debit card but they will put a hold incidentals. When I travel it is usually for work and I get reimbursed when I return. I have to save money though to have enough to pay these expenses upfront. Many hotels will accept a cahiers check or a money order but you have to talk to a manager. I have done this four different times since I filed in June and I have not had a problem.

Comment

I run hotels for a living. Hotels will take a debit card as long as it has a VISA or Mastercard logo. You must be prepared to have a least twice the room rate authorized upon checkin. This covers any incidentials, damages, long distance calls, movies, stolen towels etc. This WILL reduce your available cash you have in your account. It can take 2-3 days after check-out for the authorization balance to be dropped.
              Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
              341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
              Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

I've always used my debit card for hotel stays... at 3 and 4 star hotels, it's never been a problem with my Visa and Mastercard debit cards.
                Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
                Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
                60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

An alternative might be to go to expedia or one of the other prepay sites and pay your hotel on-line. You know immediately what you're paying and nothing is held against your card. You can't change your travel plans or always pick the hotel, but sometimes you can get a good deal. We've gotten 4-5 stars for less than $80 by buying blind (i.e., not knowing the hotel name up front, just the general location).

I second other posters though, I've never had any issues using my debit card at hotels.

Comment

I have traveled quite a bit in 2008, both for work and when we moved, and I always pay cash. Generally they will ask for a credit card for "incidentals", but when I refuse they typically will ask for a $100 (cash) that is returned to me on check out. It takes about 10 minutes longer than usual to check out (they have someone check the room and check their computer for charges), but it's worth it to me to not have their hold on my account. I have never had a hotel refuse this, but I am always prepared to go to the next one down the road should that happen.
                    BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Can't you also just purchase a pre-paid or gift visa, MC or AMEX card and use that? Maybe Relief can answer that. Are those cards acceptable since they don't have your name on the card? Also Netspend may be an option. I read that you can load up to $10K and use as debit or credit card anywhere in the world where MC/Visa is accepted.

Comment

I travel on my job and always use my debit card because I don't have a credit card either. I have stayed at the Hampton Inns and Marriott Hotels. They do hold a certain amount on your card so you may want to confirm how much they hold before doing so. The hold usually falls off after about 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Doghouse View Post
                          Can't you also just purchase a pre-paid or gift visa, MC or AMEX card and use that? Maybe Relief can answer that. Are those cards acceptable since they don't have your name on the card? Also Netspend may be an option. I read that you can load up to $10K and use as debit or credit card anywhere in the world where MC/Visa is accepted.
                          Absolutely............You can even purchase Visa or American Express gift cards as long as you have a balance of twice the room rate. Most franchise hotels also have their own prepaid hotel stay cards. You can go to the franchise website to get the information.

At my hotel we do accept cash, but the guest must put down a $150 cash deposit. At checkout, a housekeeper will check the room condition, and if it is fine we gladly hand you back your $150 cash deposit. BTW - I work for a major hotel chain. The only time I am hesitant to accept cash is if the people are "locals". Most of the time locals want to "party" and we end up with some trashed rooms. Technically, we make more money on a cash room than a credit card room, because we don't pay the credit card transaction percentage.

Hope this helps.
                          Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                          341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                          Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X